Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:27 pm • #  

Hi everyone... newbie here; but have been reading post for days. A ton of great information here... thanks to all.

I have a Garcia Conolon 2035 rod that my father purchased new (wish I knew when) & gave to me many years ago unused. He had originally gave it to me to use on a trip to the Outer Banks with a new in the box Roddy 944R reel. So long story short when I got the Outer Banks the local outfitter store owner talked me out of using the rod & reel when I went in to have line spooled on the reel; said it was up to me but he wouldn’t use it (even offered to purchase them both from me). That being said rod (& reel) traveled back with me unused where I have stored it & never really did any research on it (just a great memory from my Dad).

So now I am trying to some research on the rod & hoping someone here can help.
The rod is mint still unused; here are the specs:

Garcia Conolon Model 2035T
8 ½ Ft - Light Medium Action
5/8 – 2 ½ OZ Lure
10 – 20 Lb Line

My understanding from reading through post here is it is most likely a deluxe series as I believe I read they were the 4 / 5-star 2000 series rods, but this is all I found

I really would like to know more about it:
Possible Date of Mfg? (I’m thinking pre-70’s but would like a real date.. based on the receipt in the box I believe he purchased the Roddy 944R real in 1966 )
Fresh water – salt water (ie type of rod)
Does anybody have a catalog page with it in it; I have looked & have not been able to find it in one yet. (would like to have a copy to keep with it but don’t even know where to look)
No idea of value (no never selling it just curious)
I would also like to pair this with a Mitchell Reel if anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it (Dad was a big Mitchell reel guy also)

Any other information you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated…

Thanks in Advance… & sorry for the lousy pictures
Tight Lines
Dennis

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:29 pm • #  

I also have the sock with the correct markings; unfortunately it has some sun fading prior to my Dad giving it to me. Otherwise it is in great shape.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:51 pm • #  

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the Group. :sSig_welcome4:

A beautiful rod and a great story!! You clearly had a special Dad. I'm not an expert on the Garcia Conolon rods (OK, not even a novice :sHa_lol: ) but Scott (Bonanza) should be around the site before long and he is.
Here's what I found from the Garcia Fishing Annual for 1966:
Attachment:
Conolon 2035-1.jpg

Attachment:
Conolon 2035-2.jpg

Attachment:
Conolon 2035.jpg

Your rod definitely dates around 1966 but not sure how long they made this rod with those particular markings. As far as reel selection goes, you can see Garcia's recommendation in the Annual's description. I would probably go with the 306/406 for heavy freshwater and up to moderate saltwater. If you are doing serious surf casting, then I would go with the 302/402 - or larger, the 488/498 is an awesome surf reel. All are great reels and will nicely compliment your rod. I think the 300/330 are probably light for this rod and it wouldn't balance well. As far as pricing goes, I really don't know the current market (could be researched on eBay) but it sold for $50.00 in 1966 so it wouldn't be inexpensive today. If you PM me your email, I can scan the page from the annual and send it to you. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:20 pm • #  

Chris,
Thanks for the information & the kind words; our father instilled a love for the outdoors in all 7 of his children.
I would really appreciate it if to could scan those pages & send them to me; I will PM you. I will also keep an eye out for one of those 1966 Annuals..
I’m hoping to find as much info on the rod as possible. The pictures I posted don’t even do the rod justice it is beautiful & I honestly don’t plan on fishing with it but I do want to pair it with a Mitchell reel. I finally have gotten around to finishing my basement & just starting to design the display cases for my lure / fishing collection & am planning a case for some of the rods & reels I have acquired as well. This rod will have it place there & I would like to display the history with it as it has a special meaning to me as it was something he gave to me prior to his passing. I have acquired a large part of his equipment after his passing & honestly haven’t even gotten through most of it; so I’m sure I will have many more question for the experts on this site as I go through his rods & reels…
Thanks Again
Dennis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:21 pm • #  

Hi Dennis,

Email sent with 3 pages of info on your rod. Good luck with your collection displays and if you should have any questions as you progress, please let us know. :tup

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:42 pm • #  

Hello Dennis,
A Beautiful Rod you have. Definitely from the early 60's. The varmac guides were used in the early 60's then Garcia Conolon must have switched to a different supplier. Probably for cost measures. I would estimate at least $60 + if your condition is correct on the rod and sleeve. Congrats for you and your father giving you that fine rod............
Kim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:51 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Dennis,

Wow! What a great story, your rod photos are great. Really nice to still see the inspection sticker along with a absolutely perfect decal. I would agree with all that have replied on this rod and would fit it with a 302/402 saltwater reel. I would value your rod/sock combo at minimum of $150.00. My only suggestion would be to make sure you match it with a mid-sixties reel. I would not rely on EBAY to accurately get the correct reel but consult with someone on this forum to help you get the correct reel with appropriate serial #. You should try to get a NOS/mint condition reel in the box. My only other suggestion is to store the rod in a gun cabinet/safe to protect it. Also take the rod sock and seal it in a Ziploc storage bag to stop the model label and cloth from dry rotting, certainly one the nicest sock I have ever seen.
I agree with you, I would never sell it either, to many fond memories. As for the Roddy reel, EBAY would help determine value. Roddy tried to compete with Mitchell on low end priced reels but their quality was never there. Based on Ben Wright's spinning reel reference and value guide the reel is worth about $25.00. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your heirloom with the group.

:sSig_thankyou:

Kind Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:51 pm • #  

Chris, Kim & Scott Thanks to all of you for the great information… I have a lot to learn. :sAng_banghead2: I’ve been collecting tackle for years but just getting into the whole Mitchell / Garcia / Conolon collecting, mostly because my dad was such a fan. I’m sure I will be asking a bunch more question I’ve only just started going thought the stuff that was left to me after he passed. The 2035 is just more special because it was prior to his passing…

Chris –
Got your email… Thanks for the scanned pages. Was really cold here past few day so started going through some of my Dad’s stuff & found some Garcia Annuals :sBo_bounce2: (have boxes & boxes of magazine & catalogs). I haven’t gone through them yet but have at least (4) different years from the 60’s; can’t wait to look through them.

Kim –
Didn’t know about the Varmac Guides… thanks so much

Scott –
Heard you loud & clear on storing the rod & sock… the picture you saw of the sock was older; I actually steamed it & then vacuum sealed it in a bag for storage. The rod is already in the safe, at least until I get my display cabinets designed & built; then that will be it’s permanent home (but I have a lot of design work to do). :sSa_sadeyes:
I will definitely be looking for an early version Mitchell reel to display with it.
Oh, as for the Roddy , thanks for looking that up (I love having an idea of values) – even though I won’t sell that either…. It is brand new in the box (the receipt was in the box too, a whole $9.32 including tax on March 21, 1966) & it has way more value in my collection than what it will ever be worth.

Ok, a question for the experts… I believe the very early Conlon connecting ferrules were threaded, then they went to brass (as my 2035 has) & then I believe nickel plated chrome. My question is did all the brass ferrules use an O-ring on the male ferrule end (maybe just saltwater versions) or does that possible help narrow down a year? (see pic below)

Thanks & Tight Lines
Dennis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:49 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Dennis,

At this point in the game because so many male/female ferrules got seized together or a broken rod taking apart along with a cost savings they shortened the inside male/female length dimension and added the o-ring. Also the tolerance is a few thousandths less tight, all without changing performance. The o-ring also gave a slight water tight seal.

Kind Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:55 am • #  

cshannon772 wrote:
Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the Group. :sSig_welcome4:

A beautiful rod and a great story!! You clearly had a special Dad. I'm not an expert on the Garcia Conolon rods (OK, not even a novice :sHa_lol: ) but Scott (Bonanza) should be around the site before long and he is.
Here's what I found from the Garcia Fishing Annual for 1966:
Attachment:
Conolon 2035-1.jpg

Attachment:
Conolon 2035-2.jpg

Attachment:
Conolon 2035.jpg

Your rod definitely dates around 1966 but not sure how long they made this rod with those particular markings. As far as reel selection goes, you can see Garcia's recommendation in the Annual's description. I would probably go with the 306/406 for heavy freshwater and up to moderate saltwater. If you are doing serious surf casting, then I would go with the 302/402 - or larger, the 488/498 is an awesome surf reel. All are great reels and will nicely compliment your rod. I think the 300/330 are probably light for this rod and it wouldn't balance well. As far as pricing goes, I really don't know the current market (could be researched on eBay) but it sold for $50.00 in 1966 so it wouldn't be inexpensive today. If you PM me your email, I can scan the page from the annual and send it to you. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris

Wow! I thought I overpaid for the Five-Star Conolon Surf Rod (11') in excellent condition I got to use with a newly rebuilt 302 discussed in another thread. I guess not. It would have likely been one of the more expensive spinning rods in the catalog. $50 in 1966 was pricey, the equivalent of $387 today! I paid a lot less than that. More than a cheapo production surf rod, but less than a custom rod.

By the way, mine was also inspected by "Number 10".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:00 am • #  

Hey Mates,

So, I see the question about additional years to 1966 as posted by Chris. Referring to my Garcia catalog "library" (1953-81), I don't see this rod later and only earlier by 1 year (1965 -see below). Images are similar those of 1966.

An additional comment. This rod was in the "Deluxe" series which was above the 5-star series and below the "Custom" series as listed by Garcia.

Attachment:
6500 Garcia Annual 143 Deluxe Rods sm.jpg

Attachment:
6500 Garcia Annual 143 Deluxe Rods excerpt.jpg

Hey Bonanza,

:sSig_youtheman: So, enormously glad to see you back! Looking forward to you sharing your knowledge once again. Much has been learned since you've been away. Have you been keeping up?

Warm regards,
John

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply