Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:46 am • #  

I have, from my late Father this beautiful unused rod which I want to put into use for fishing to his memory. I would really like to know and be able to find the reel that would have been used on this rod at the time hopefully a Mitchell reel. I have tried to find a reel that fits on this some are close but not perfect fits most others are not even close. There are two issues I find one is the seat must be metal most new ones have a plastic base which is too thick to fit in the rod second if I find a good seat the spincast housing hits the front of the handle. Any help in being able to bring this rig to what it was in it's time period would be great. Thank you all so very much!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:54 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings ol'54,
Welcome to the Mitchell reel Museum.
I googled your rod on the net and it appears that your rod is a "casting" rod. In that case none of the old Mitchells were designed to work on a casting rod, and are designed to work with "spinning rods".
If I wanted to use a rod like yours, I'd find a nice old ABU Ambassadeur 5000, 5000D, 5500C, made before 1980, and go after the bass.
If you haven't used a bait casting reel before, it may take a bit to get used to them, but with a little effort they are great!
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:52 pm • #  

Hello there!

You can't beat the feel and power of those old companion rods! As what Ted said you could pair an Ambassadeur 5000 with your rod quite nicely or even a 2000,2600 or a 1750 baitcasting reel. Another option would be a spin-casting reel. ABU made several reels of that nature including the 60,40,70,160,140,170 and the 136. They are a cross between a spinning reel in which the spool does not revolve or spin like a baitcasting spool. It is like a baitcasting reel in which the reel sits above rod. I have several companion rods paired with ambassadeur and abu-matic reels and they make for a great outing out on the water! If you have any questions please feel to send me a pm! Best regards and tight lines, Nick Papesh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:32 pm • #  

Thank you Nick and Ted, this is unbelievable in all of his fishing things where there are over 400 old rods with reels and even more rods without reels and many reels alone there is a brand new in the box with papers a Ambassadeur 5500-C3, just had this baby spooled and is now on the rod! I do appreciate the info and help I have never fished with a bait caster as here in Colorado not a lot of bass but know a few spots and most likely will use this on other types of fish.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:02 am • #  
Global Moderator

ol'54,
From your previous post, it sounds like your Father appreciated the finer things in life!

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:01 am • #  

My advice is to keep it just a lesson for the future and to teach everyone to understand.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:12 pm • #  

Thank you very much for sharing.
gclub
gclub

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply