Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: ROYAL JAVALIN Rod Find
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:16 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Mates,
Picked up this 7ft. ROYAL JAVALIN spinning rod yesterday. It's a shame I didn't get either a sock, or tube, but it has spent its lifetime in an aftermarket rod tube. I don't think it's been used.
Anyway, I believe this rod was made for one of the sporting goods houses and it seems, to me, to be a pretty high quality rod, but I am wondering what would be the star rating for this rod had it been a Garcia Conolon.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:17 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Ted,

This is a fun and interesting question. You lucky dog, nice find! So I scoured my large database looking for what I thought might match your rod. Without placing both rods on my action board with weights to measure the flex, I would guess that a model 2133, 7', light action, fast taper, lure wt. 1/4 to 1/2 oz, 4 to 8 lb. test, chrome plated line guides, black threaded reel seat with brass securing mechanism and foot receiver, all which seem to match up to your Royal Javelin. I hope that you are well!

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:32 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Scott,
I ,really, appreciate your help on this. When I first picked it up, I was thinking only of hanging a early 60's Mitchell on it and heading to the river, but it's soooo pretty it may never make it out of the house. I just love the contrast of the colors between the rod and the wraps.
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:55 pm • #  

A bit late to the game in my answer: Royal Javelin was the house brand for Klein's Sporting Goods, active during the 1950's and early 1960's. Klein's eventually became Herman's Sporting Goods.

I have a number of Royal Javelin rods, along with some Klein's catalogs.

They're very high quality rods which, according to various ads, were made expressly for Klein's, to their specifications and then sold either singly or as part of a kit. Some resemble fly rods that have been fitted with spinning guides and seat!

I may sell or trade other Conolon rods, but I will be buried with my Royal Javelin rods.

Gary Roberts
Wilmington, NC
The Toolemera Press
http://toolemera.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:29 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Mates,
I understand your affection for these Royal Javelin rods. I'm hoping that I can find a few more of them before all my gas runs out.
They are sweet!
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:11 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Ted,

The Royal Javelin is made with the same materials and same way as the conolon rods, just missing the word conolon on the label. I have two exactly the same rods with same line guide wrapping, cork and reel seat slide rings. Measured flex with a 50 gram weight, they were both the same. Only difference was the label. I also love fishing with them, and are favorite.
Cheers

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:32 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Scott,
I need to examine rods a bit better when I find them. I guess, I'm too focused on the Mitchell items.
I had never seen a conolon dressed up with these wraps. They sure are pretty.

Thanks,
Ted

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:20 am • #  

Hi Ted,

I don't know the answer to your question but that is a beautiful rod. Congratulations on a great addition to your collection. :sHa_clap2:

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:21 pm • #  

I really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us. I assure this would be beneficial for most of the people
maxbet
reddragon88
gclub

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply