Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:43 pm • #  

Hey Mates,

Here is a Teeny Tiny Twin (6200-N) set by Narmco Conolon ~1957 that I acquired 5-7 years ago. I post as it may be of interest to collectors and those who like to fish with early fiberglass rods. (Unfortunately the screwtop to the tube has been lost.)

1) 6105-N Fly Rod 5’10”: recommended line E, HEH = AFTMA 5 wt level & double taper

2) 6325-N Spin Rod 5” ultra light action: recommended lures 1/32 - ¼ oz

These 2 rods were Narmco Conolon’s shortest in their respective categories. They were sold separately or as a pair (= Twins).

If there is any doubt about the worthiness of “Teeny Tiny” as a name, the “Twins” snuggly fit in their 35 X 1⅞” tube.

Wallace has posted his Twins at the MRM Forum:
Teeny-Tiny

Some Mates, including Ted Lanham, have also posted their acquisition of either the Teeny Tiny fly rod or spin rod.

John
Attachment:
Conolon Teeny Tiny Twins set.jpg

Attachment:
Conolon Teeny Tiny Twins decals.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:50 pm • #  

Hey Kim (piscesman),

Thank you for sharing with me and permitting to post page 11 from your 1957 Conolon Catalog. I post page 11 in 2 parts below.

Many of the Teeny Tiny specifics I shared at the start of this thread come from your catalog content. Also, I understand from your prior MRM post that “Teeny Tiny” rods were not present in the 1956 Conolon Catalog.

John
Attachment:
5700 Conolon Catalog pg11 a.jpg

Attachment:
5700 Conolon Catalog pg11 b.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:59 pm • #  

Hey Mates,

I repost below excerpts from a pricelist (with my highlighting added) originally posted by Wallace who received from Tim Barton who cited his source as saying the pricelist was from Oct-1952:
Garcia Early Years in the Fishing Rod Business

Well either that source did not remember correctly from the 1950s or that source was in turn incorrectly informed (it happens). There are a number of features that demonstrate this pricelist was from the late 1950s, most prominent of which are:

1) address: pricelist has a West 17th St address; there is documentation that Victoria St was occupied until at least Aug-1956.

2) Missilite: pricelist lists Missilite rods; “Missilite” was first used June, 1957 on fishing rods according to documentation Narmco provided to USPTO.

See: Narmco Conolon: Trademarks, Addresses, & Press

This pricelist does provide some very interesting information.

The first being that the Teeny Tiny rods have Missilite blanks. This means their fiberglass is a later version/type than that of the late ‘40s/early ‘50s. This then means somewhat denser (stiffer), yet lighter blanks (due to less fiberglass being needed) than earlier.

The second being that N = natural. The 2 Teeny-Tiny rods had an “N” designation, whereas all the other rods in their Airflite Series had an “MB” designation (metallic blue). The other series that were N are high-end/top-of-the-line, Citation and Titlist. That Teeny-Tiny’s were natural-colored (aka tobacco-colored) originally lead me to mistakenly think they were from the early ‘50s.

John
Attachment:
5700+ Narmco_Conolon pricelist 1 e.jpg

Attachment:
5700+ Narmco_Conolon pricelist excerpt.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:35 pm • #  

Here are Teeny Tiny excerpts from 1958 and 1959 catalogs.

(Both catalogs' dates are definite - 1958 cover is shown on an insert identifying it as such and 1959 cover has date printed on it.)
Attachment:
5800 Conolon catalog Teeny_Tiny.jpg

Attachment:
5900 Conolon catalog Teeny_Tiny.jpg

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply