Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Conolon
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:38 am • #  

Hello all . Not being very knowledgeable in very much at all but having a big interest in older fishing gear especially Mitchell and having only one matching rod for my 510 I was wondering if the rod collectors amongst you all might share a little bit of what is worth knowing and looking for in the Older Rods for our Mitchell,s and other reels of course ,ie serial #,s etc . Tracey.

Post subject: Re: Conolon
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:12 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Tracey,

I love your question! We here for the most part seem to always focus on the reels. We all know that there is a little more to reels than just casting and retrieving, but when you get down to the nitty and gritty that is really all they do. There are line, spool and reel size considerations that determine the type of reel we use and where. Rods are no different but IMO they are quite abit more intricate. Just as alot of us collect reels, Alot of us also collect rods. I am probably more driven and excited when I find a mint rod these days then a mint reel. It is easy for most of us to list all the different reel models, but I would doubt that most of us could not even scratch the surface on listing the amount of different rod models #'s. I have been collecting rods and listing rods in a database for 30 years. The list is huge! I will tell you that the list has doubled it's size since EBAY came online in the early 2000. From a value standpoint bait casters do not bring the big numbers when selling unless it is a very early Narmco manufactured rod that was sometimes very ornatley decorated. Fiberglass fly rods are making a comeback and some types such the Lee Wolf and Charles Ritz can bring very high prices. Briefly I would tell you that salt water boat rods are also bringing top money. Spinning rods whether ultra light light or medium action are seen the most for sale. Conolon rods were marked in color and had a star rating system as for the quality. The more stars the better the quality. Blue (2 stars), green (3 stars). brown and maroon rods were 4 and 5 stars and seemed to be interchangable and were the top of the line in their quality. The more stars also ment better line guides, guide wrapping, higher quality cork, and reel seat. Older top of the line rods where gold in color before the stars were used to define their workmanship. Then in spinning rods there are the custom designed models that are even a cut above the rods that were generally marketed to the general public and for the most part not listed in the catalogs. Some of Garcia's customers that sold tackle from their supply stores even had custom rods specifically made for them. A couple of the top of my head are the Royal Javelin line sold by Kleins and Sportcastle sold by a store in the Denver, CO area. Sportcastle became the Sports Authority sporting goods chain here in the US. I try to collect only mint rods with tube and sock and their condition is critical. Especially the label which should be mint. If your trying to understand value just watch a few good listings on EBAY to get a sense of what is collected and their price achieved. Hope this helps! PS. There is alot more to this than what I described but it is a short start.

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:38 pm • #  

Hey Scot thanks for your reply , The postage costs are a big factor in getting them over here sometimes greater than the actual price of the rod . I do keep an eye on one ebay seller who sells rod and reel combos I might go down that road at least once anyway . cheers Tracey.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:10 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Tracey,

I sent you a PM. Cheers!

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:33 pm • #  

GDay Scott PM didnt come threw. Tracey.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:26 pm • #  
Global Moderator

hi Scott,

Nice topic ! I remember when I got my first conolon rod and liked it very much .
I only used it one time .. and put it away, and started collecting only the conolon (Albatros ) u.l and light rods .
Mitchell reels and Conolon rods go hand in hand .
A good example are the 500 series rod and reel together.

regards , Dries

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:26 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Dries,

Thanks! I agree about the 500 series rod/reel combo's. I have always been jealous of that part of your collection. I have a few european issue Mitchell Conolon combo's from Doug on display. Just cannot get hose rods and reels over in the US that easily.
Hope you are well? Cheers!

Regards, Scott

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply