Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:07 am • #  

Here's the data on the Klein's Sporting Goods trademark for Royal Javelin rods:

Mark: Royal Javelin
US Serial #: 72145087
Filing Date: May 21, 1962
US Reg #: 76021
Reg Date: Nov. 19, 1963
Registration not renewed and expired on Feb 19, 1984

For: Fishing Rods ; International Class: 028 ; US Class 022

Registered to: Klein's Sporting Goods, Inc.; 227 W. Washington St., Chicago 6, Ill. US

NOTE: Date of first use in commerce: Nov 23, 1955

And that's the dope on Royal Javelin, of which I have a few and hopefully will continue to have a few more. They're great to fish as well as great looking. From the Field and Stream ads, these were made expressly for Klein's which I guess explains the Custom notes on the rod stems. I haven't come across a Klein's catalog yet but am still looking.

Gary Roberts
Wilmington, NC
The Toolemera Press
http://toolemera.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:38 pm • #  
Administrator

Hey Gary, Thanks for sharing that info :tup

I have an old Kliens' catalog from the 1950s IF I can find it, I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Wallace

"Greater is He that is in me than he who is in the world"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:04 am • #  

Wallace

That would be great if you have a Klein's. I have one from 1965 on the way and will be looking for more. My hope is that there will be some information in some of the catalogs to point out more data on these rods. I'll keep a lookout during my usual ephemera searches.

Unfortunately, the original trademark paperwork was destroyed in the late 1980's when it was not renewed.

I do intend to see if there are any records on Klein's in the Chicago area archives that may shed light on the subject.

Gary Roberts
Wilmington, NC
The Toolemera Press
http://toolemera.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:50 pm • #  

Hey Mates,

I was looking into the background of Royal Javelin to inform my purchase decision(s) and I found this wonderful thread started by Gary Roberts, someone who recognizes the value of trademark documents. :tup

I'm not sure why Gary didn't post the word mark registration document, but here it is:
Attachment:
US0760281 Royal_Javelin s trademark word.jpg

There was also a design mark registration document from March 26, 1957 - 6 years earlier than the word mark. Here that is:
Attachment:
US0643202 Royal_Javelin s trademark design.jpg

Here's the cover of a 1950 Klein's Sporting Goods catalog (no Mitchell or Conolon inside yet), just to give an idea of what the store looked like:
Attachment:
5000 Kleins s catalog.jpg

John

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:03 am • #  

Gary mentioned Klein's ads in Field & Stream. Below I post 1969 and 1970 F&S Klein's ad excerpts with Royal Javelin rods. These ad's made me realize Royal Javelin was not just from the late 1950s to early 1960s - an impression I had been left with after reading a few blogs.
Attachment:
6902 F&S s Kleins Royal_Javelin.jpg

Attachment:
7002 F&S s Kleins Royal_Javelin.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:41 am • #  

Some Chicago Tribune Klein's ad's with Royal Javelin rods:
Attachment:
5603 29 Chicago_Tribune Kleins Royal_Javelin.jpg

Attachment:
6205 06 Chicago_Tribune Kleins Royal_Javelin.jpg

Attachment:
6808 12 Chicago_Tribune Kleins Royal_Javelin.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:44 am • #  

One more from the Chicago Tribune:
Attachment:
7311 01 Chicago_Tribune Kleins Royal_Javelin.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:50 am • #  
Global Moderator

J Fiskat,
I appreciate all the info. on the Royal Javelin rods.

I ,usually, fish with the old Conolon rods, and I'm always looking to pick up another. I was at an estate sale and a friend handed me this rod. At first, I just thought it was another pretty spinner, but when I got it home an looked a bit closer, I realized it was made by Garcia. I did some look up on the rods and found that they were sold by Klein's, so I appreciate all the info.
The wraps remind me of those on the old Granger fly rods.

By the way, I thought it was so pretty that I decided to never use it.
:sHa_rollingsmilie:

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:44 pm • #  

Ted,

Indeed, your ROYAL JAVALIN Rod Find is very nicely finished! Scott (Bonanza) wrote that your rod components are comparable to that of Garcia model 2133, which is a 5-star golden-colored rod. Date would be early 1960’s (post Garcia purchase of Conolon in 1960). It could be the rod depicted in the 1962 newspaper ad above.

To help identify Royal Javelins, some marks/logos are below: first, the Narmco Conolon time (1956-1960); next the Garcia time first type on natural finish rods (1960 ~1964?) = yours; and then the Garcia second type on brown-colored rods (~1964 ~???) – not showing in the photo is that garcia is also on the decal.

John
Attachment:
Royal_Javelin Narmco marks.jpg

Attachment:
Royal_Javelin Garcia mark 1.jpg

Attachment:
Royal_Javelin Garcia marks type2.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:53 pm • #  

Scott (Bonanza) wrote that Klein’s became Herman’s. Royal Javelin® is still found in ad’s as late as the 1978 one from Herman’s below. The Garcia name is not listed with the rods and the combo sets feature reels by other manufacturers. I don’t know what’s going on there.
Attachment:
7802 02 Chicago_Tribune Royal_Javelin.jpg

Since Scott mentioned Sportscastle in Denver, CO, which opened in 1971, as the only other example of a retailer-branded Garcia rod, below is their decal.
Attachment:
Sportscastle_Garcia_Conolon mark.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:32 pm • #  
Global Moderator

J Fiskat,
I had forgotten all about the exchange of posts on this rod with Bonanza. That has been a while ago. :sFun_bricks:
How time flies.
Ted Lanham

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply