Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:48 pm • #  

No too long ago I picked up two rods, both five star: B122, B123, with carbide guides (hence the B letter). My guess is early 1970's judging by the look and the catalogs. While I'm surprised to see carbide on spinning rods, I'm not complaining. They handle fluoro line well. After a bit of polishing to remove built up gunk, it's as if they're brand new.

I'm scratching my head as to why Garcia offered rods with full carbide guides. I would never dream of using braid on a spinning reel, but maybe I'm conservative or just too East coast?

Totally off topic, I also found a 1930 patent Union tin tackle box at the same yard sale.

Gary Roberts
Wilmington, NC
The Toolemera Press
http://toolemera.com

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:28 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Gary,

Sometimes I have not been able to find the answer and it will remain an unknown. Some of my early salt water fenwicks have carbide guides which is rather well known to handle the tough rigor of salt water fishing. Alot of times Garcia made rods based on either customer feedback, or from a customer ordering a rod a certain way. Garcia might have seen this as an opportunity to increase sales? Your B122 and 123 rods I hope are in nice condition? I have always considered them a tough to find and great collection additions. From a manufacturing standpoint, becareful with carbide guides, they are extremly brittle and break easily. It is most likely the reason that manufactures went to tungsten carbide and carboloy guides. hope this helps! Cheers.

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:45 pm • #  

Scott

Both are excellent rods. Not much to look at as they have been heavily fished. One has been sprayed with some sort of matte poly at some point in it's life but otherwise, it's a great example of rod making

These were called Allen Carbide, so I've always assumed they were a form of carbide and not tungsten carbide. Either way, they've lasted and fish well. Internal ferrules, well balanced rod to grip and none of the oscillations I hate in the new carbon rods. These are mine and won't be sold or traded. Purely by chance I picked them up separately but one after the other. Strange.

Gary Roberts
Wilmington, NC
The Toolemera Press
http://toolemera.com

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply