Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:40 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 302 Schematic Dates
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:36 am • #  

I thought that I had a brilliant idea to date my 302 by looking at the schematic diagrams. Unfortunately, it brought up a couple of questions about the order of the diagrams or the dates on them.

At this time, I will stick to 2 physical attributes, the drag knob and the handle lock.

Under 1949-1968 Mitchell Reel Schematics/302-303
1954 to 1961 - Original/Small Drag Knob and Spring (?) Handle Lock
1963 - Small Drag Knob and Small Knurled Handle Lock Nut
1967 - New/Large Drag Knob and Small Knurled Handle Lock Nut
1968 - (Spool not shown) New/Larger Knurled Handle Lock Nut

Under 1968-1989 Mitchell Reel Schematics/302 Series/302-303
1968 - Large Drag Knob and Larger Knurled Handle Lock Nut
1969 - Small Drag Knob and Small Knurled Handle Lock Nut
1974-1975 - Large Drag Knob and Larger Knurled Handle Lock Nut
1976 - (Spool not shown) Larger Knurled Handle Lock Nut

Did they really go back and forth with the parts like that? I would have expected that they would use up all existing stock before changing (or set aside existing stock to sell as replacements) and that they would stick with the new part from then onward.

The end result is that I still don't have a date for my 302. Sometime soon, I will take some pictures and post them with a request for help.

Thanks,
J.

Post subject: Re: 302 Schematic Dates
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:07 pm • #  

Jr, unfortunately, there is no documented dating chart for the 302 series. Though, if you provide the serial number stamped onto either the bottom of the foot (six or seven numerals) or the back plate (starts with A, B, C or D followed by five digits), we can get close to yr of manufacture...photos would be great...use the 'choose file' button at the bottom of the reply page...after pressing , select the file on your computer you want to load, then press the 'add the file' button...if it doesn't work, the file is too large...save the file as 750 pixels or smaller and try again, or save it that small to begin with, it will not work id larger...

Sandman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:11 pm • #  

Thanks Sandman,

Yes, I understand that and I plan to take some pictures and post them with a query.

Currently, I am questioning whether the schematic diagrams shown on the MRM website for the 302-303 are in the correct order and/or have the proper dates assigned to them.

As they are, one year shows one part, a following year shows a different/newer part, and a later year reverts back to the original part. See the list that i generated in my previous post. Note also that I only compared 2 parts that were readily identifiable, I did not look to see if there were other parts that showed similar changes.

I don't believe that makes any sense. I find it hard to believe that Mitchell would have intermixed and co-mingled parts like that over a number of days, weeks, or months, let alone years. Were that the case, all of the work done by Mr. Carney and others of identifying different versions of a reel based on the physical attributes of the parts found on them would be useless! My expectation is that when a decision would have been made to change to a new design for a part, that change would be permanent. Hence, my question about the schematics.

Thanks again,
J.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:39 pm • #  

Jr, your questions are good ones. Anything is possible in the Mitchell world. I'm not sure if one or two of the schematics are incorrectly dated in the MRM, or if the parts changed back-and-forth from year to year.

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:21 pm • #  

On a little further inspection,

Under 1949-1968 Mitchell Reel Schematics/302-303
1954 - NO Anti-Inertia Brake
1955 to 1961 - Anti-Inertia Brake
1963 - NO Anti-Inertia Brake
1967 - 1968 - Anti-Inertia Brake

Under 1968-1989 Mitchell Reel Schematics/302 Series/302-303
1968 to 1976 - Anti-Inertia Brake

Curiouser and curiouser!
J.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:44 pm • #  

Jr, probably just a mistake in the 1963 schematic. Inertia brakes begin in about 1955 and were not discontinued.

Sandman

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply