Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:34 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:49 pm • #  

Mates,
Does anyone know what the difference is between the 1958 Garcia Fishing Tackle Annual and Catalog and the 1959 version. Both have identical covers, so are they the same or is there a difference? If they are different, what distinguishes one from the other? :sCo_hmmthink:

Thanks
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:26 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Bill,
If you are talking about the 1st and 2nd Annual that's white with the 3 fishermen on the front, in the index it lists on page 24, the "Field and Stream 46th Annual Fishing Contest Winners". I have been told by a mate that has every one of them that is the 1st. The following year didn't have that.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:02 am • #  

Ted,
Thank you so much for your reply. I guess I can live without the F&S Annual Contest and save my money by only buying one of them.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 pm • #  

Hey Mates,

As Ted has written, there is not a substantial difference between the 1958 and 1959 Garcia Annuals (having identical covers) for those seeking information about Mitchell reels.

Whether there is a significant difference (for collectors) though, is in the eye of the beholder. The 1958 Annual pictures the Mitchell Spinning Reel with “Mitchell” engraved, whereas 1959 shows “Mitchell 300” engraved (corresponding to after the point when Mitchell implemented numbering for its reels). For ABU collectors, 1959 shows the Abu-Matic reel, whereas 1958 does not.

If anyone is wondering about an easy way to differentiate 1958 from 1959, it’s the number of pages in the table of contents. 1958 has 81 pages, whereas 1959 has 80 pages. [Please see scans below (I had on hand)]. If a scan is not included by seller, it’s an easy question to ask. Just to make this topic easy to follow for those wondering, (given the MRM Gallery is currently down) I’ve also included a scan of the 3-fishermen cover as referred to above in this thread (given sellers often just list as a catalog from the 1950s).

John
Attachment:
58 Garcia Annual contents.jpg

Attachment:
59 Garcia Annual contents.jpg

Attachment:
58 +59 Garcia Annuals small.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply