Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:14 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:00 pm • #  

Mates,
Got this cover plate and gear train on auction a while ago. It was part of a Franken Reel. The rest of the reel (Frame, Head, Handle) were 7th version reel parts. :sSW_stormtrooper:

When I took it apart I was quite surprised at what I found, but what did I find?
Seller said he got it at a flea market in France but no other (origional) parts. Take a look what do you think? :sFun_eyescan:
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:40 pm • #  

Bill, that's a cool find...the transfer gear is 1st version...looks like the main drive and pivot gears are 1st version too...need a close up of the main drive gear (small center hole and inside beveling) to verify, and the A/R knob to check for fine knurling (first version)...

From these photos, I'd say all first version...Jeremy may note some attributes I am missing.

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:43 pm • #  

Dear Bill,

I agree totally with Sandman that the parts you show are all first version. Well done indeed !!

The gears have the correct textured surface. Transfer gear 1, as Wallace calls it, is an iconic part.

As Sandman points out it would be nice to see a close-up of the anti-reverse knob, but it appears correct. You could count the number of rows of diamonds and compare with the reels shown elsewhere.

Congrats,

JF.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:42 pm • #  

Sandman and Jeremy,
My old point and shoot camera just does not want to focus any closer than about 10" and it is purely by luck that anything closer will work. :sCh_taz:

I want to buy a camera with a macro lens but have you seen recent prices!! O well guess Mr Frankenstein paid off at least part way.
Kind Regards, :tup
Bill

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:57 pm • #  

Jeremy, thanks for the second look...

Bill, I think the items are close enough...can you just post one photo per picture? It looks like you have made an eight picture collage, which is downsizing each photo...

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:06 pm • #  

Here are larger pics
Kind Regards,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:22 am • #  

Dear Bill,

I attach photos of a 1st. AR dog which should answer your questions. Note the 2 holes which don't appear to be present on yours.

The way the paint has detached over "Mitchell" is typical of an early 1st. cover plate when they engraved before painting : the paint didn't key well in that area.

It looks as though your camera is fine !!

Regards,

JF.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:49 pm • #  

Bill, thanks for the single photo close ups...confirming main drive gear with small center hole and non-beveled center hub is 1st version...

Those are some rare parts...somebody must of used an original Mitchell to rebuild another...makes you wonder where the rest of the Mitchell went...makes me wonder what the rarest part is to find from the original Mitchells...the Rosewood grasp?

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 pm • #  

Mates,
Ah-Ha, I thought that A/R dog looked suspicious.
I wanted to show the A/R spring which wraps around the mounting post in a 1st version I believe. Is this correct?

Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:30 am • #  

Dear Sandman,

It's purely subjective, but in my opinion the rarest and most important part of a 1st. version is the housing. This is, after all, the one part that defines a 1st. and cannot, therefore, be found on other versions. Also, the foot has a habit of breaking, which means that legitimate reels exist with a changed housing. I have one such reel and don't expect to ever find a replacement housing without MIF; although hope springs eternal.

The next 2 most important parts are the hardwood knob and first transfer gear, but these can be found on early 2nds. so are not so difficult.

The other tricky parts, although not perhaps so crucial, are the steel baffle plate shims.

I also wonder what happened to the original housing. Did it break? Perhaps a previous owner liked a full-bail, but preferred level-wind. Perhaps he just liked the button AR knob.

Either way, I think we can agree that the changes were not meant to deceive. It was just a fisherman customizing a reel to suit his personal preferences. One of the joys of Mitchells is that this is possible.

Dear Bill,

All is correct.

JF.

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply