Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:50 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 306
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 am • #  

Hello All . Can anyone help with the version of this 306, iv looked in the reel details section but cant figure out which one i have.
Has the serial number 0130205 and it doesn't have France written on the foot.

[img]DSCF8833_edited.jpg[/img]

[img]DSCF8834_edited.jpg[/img]

[img]DSCF8826.jpg[/img]

Tia.. Lee.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 306
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:02 pm • #  

Hi Lee,

Nice reel :tup . In my opinion you have a very early 4th Version, European distribution Mitchell 306 with a 6th Version handle on it from the early 1960s - 62/63??. The first three versions of the 306 did not have "FRANCE" cast into the reel seat but had a slim, tapered anti reverse lever vice the blockier a/r lever of all the follow-on versions. My latest 3rd Version is Ser#0105658 (MIB), no "FRANCE" and my earliest 4th Version is Ser#0196337 and it has "FRANCE" cast into the reel seat. The first five versions of 306 had the smoother, lightly knurled screw type counterweight on the handle where as the 6th Version handle had the much coarser knurling screw type counterweight on the handle (like yours). Your reel also has the old style (first 4 versions) bail bumper/bail assembly. The Mitchell crest on the back plate is indicative of European distribution - likely France. These are only my thoughts and based on my research and observation of my collection of Mitchell 306s - I'm in no way an expert on the 306. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris

Post subject: Re: 306
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:36 pm • #  

Nice looking early 306...Completely agree with Chris’s assessment...the crank handle is several, or perhaps quite a few, years later than the reel. Considering this model was first produced in 1958 and serial numbered sequentially, the 130 thousandth reel may of been produced as early as 1960 or 1961 (not to nit pick Chris’ estimate of ‘62-‘63) which also could be accurate. Maybe Christian has qty of production years he could share.

Sandman

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply