Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:42 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:45 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

This afternoon I received this perfect Garcia Mitchell 401, Ser# 4243326 dating it around 1961/62 but not later. The reel and box are both MINT, the paperwork is still sealed but the manual is for a GM 300/301??
Attachment:
401 Early Release.jpg

Attachment:
401 Early Release 3.jpg

Attachment:
401 Early Release1.jpg

I'm certain that I'm the first to take the faceplate off this reel as still has original grease. Now that I've used up all my photo opportunities, I'll have to ask my question on the next page.

Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:06 pm • #  

Hi again Mates,

Now for the question - Kind of. The first advertising for the Garcia Mitchell 400 doesn't show up until the 1964 Garcia Tackle Catalog and Fishing Annual - both identical ads....2 years after this reel was serialized/manufactured??
Attachment:
401 Early Release 4.jpg

Now for the interesting part. This reel is identical to that advertised except it's a 401. Note the Anti-Reverse lever and the handle knob screw.
Attachment:
401 Early Release 2.jpg

The only example of that A/R lever is on the Mitchell 350 - while that design is common on the 330, 400, 410, 440; the only Mitchell that had the hole in the A/R lever was the 350 (and as far as I know nobody knows why). I have no other 400 Series reels with that A/R lever except this one. Additionally, note the screw in the handle knob. I have no other medium sized "egg body" Mitchells with that handle screw and all of my 400 Series Mitchells have lube port caps on the handle knob. The closest example I could find to this reel is the early Mitchell 306 handle knob screw. So my question to you Mates, is does anyone have a similar GM 400 Series reel and could you provide a serial # and photos? This one certainly is interesting which is why I purchased it

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:17 pm • #  

Sorry Chris, no 400 or 401. Nice reel though! :sHa_yes: Randy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:49 pm • #  

Hello Chris,
I have two 400 type reels with the A/R lift hole:
a 400 garcia (engraved) # 4116288 and a 401 Special (sticker) # 477857 ?.
They are not in good condition but they have the merit to exist.
They are the same crank as yours.
Regarding the "hole" of the A/R, I have no certainty but I always thought that, as trout fishermen very often changed places through the vegetation, this hole was used to put the tip of the lure hook the changes of place.
Just my thought that all the rods did not have the proper ring
Best regards
Christian
Attachment:
MIT400.JPG

Attachment:
MIT401.JPG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:09 pm • #  

Hello Christian,

Thank you very much for providing excellent information and two great examples of the Mitchell 400 similar to mine. All of the serial numbers are close in sequence which leads me to believe that these reels were very early in the 400 series. My next closest Garcia Mitchell 400 has Ser # 5221312 which has the same A/R lever but without the hole and the lube port cap on the handle knob.

I like your theory on the hole in the A/R lever and as a trout fisherman on small streams in Maine, I could certainly see a use for that convenience.

Best Regards,
Chris

Thank you for the response Randy :tup

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:52 pm • #  

Hi Chris,

This is my first attempt at a response to a posting and I hope that it works out OK!

I have a number of the wide lever A/R 400's in my collection, the earliest in matching serial number box - 3683319.

Attachment:
400 3683319 .25.jpg

It also has the large screw in the handle knob.

Also, I have a 400 Special, with the same A/R and handle, and a serial number not too far from Christian's reel - 4782235:

Attachment:
400 4782235 .25.JPG

Then I have a 401, again, with the same characteristics, and serial number close to yours - 4259713. This also had the 300/301 manual that yours has, plus an eight page 400 leaflet:

Attachment:
401 4259713 .25.jpg

Overall, I have eight 400/401 reels with the hole in the A/R lever. The highest serial number that I have found with the hole in the A/R is the 400 Special - 4782235, and the first with the smooth lever wide A/R is serial number - 4842489. All 400/401's that I have after this serial number that have the wide A/R are the smooth version.

Most of these reels also have the large screw in the handle knob, but a couple do not, which might simply be replacement handles. I have also found early examples of 410's, 411's and 440's with the same large screw in the handle. Of course, handles can be changed, but I have found enough of them on the early production of all of these models to suggest that they continued to be used until the mid sixties.

The advertisement in your post from the 1964 annual shows the reel with a trip lever with teeth. None of the reels that I have have this feature, and I believe that it was only included on the very earliest production. I have yet to find one like this.

Anyway, I hope that this post goes through OK. If it does, great, if not, I will need help from the experts!

George

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:18 am • #  

Chris, great find and add to your collection!! It's a gorgeous set. Thanks for showing.

George, :sSig_welcome4: to the Mitchell Reel Museum! Your post came through perfectly and your input is excellent!

Great early 400 series examples...

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:56 am • #  
Global Moderator

gpsaul,
I, too, want to welcome you to the forum, and loads of thanks to you for the additional information and pictures on the 400s.

It's always great to input from another experienced collector. :sFun_crazydance:

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:12 pm • #  
Administrator

Well Hello George and :sSig_welcome4:

Great on-topic post and images. It's so good to see you here finally!!!!

Merry Christmas,
Wallace Carney :sFun_oldguy:

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:32 pm • #  

george, :sSig_welcome2: Nice reel.

Wallace, Good to see you!

Chris, Turns out I do have a 400! Serial number 3778577. It has the hole in the A/R. I forgot that I have it - its been used and came in an early box - which is the reason I bought it.

Randy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:19 pm • #  

Hello George,

Welcome to the Group :sSig_welcome2: . Thank you very much for your contribution - excellent information. It seems that all of this release of 400/401 are relatively close in Ser # and early production leading me to believe that the A/R lever was probably a carry-over from parts of the Mitchell 350 (which the 400 replaced) but still can't explain the screw for the handle knob? Great information Mates and thank you Randy for digging into your collection to contribute - nice reel!

George, I agree with the toothed trip lever, all of mine are smooth/rounded trip levers.

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:17 am • #  

Thanks for the welcomes, mates!

One thing I forgot to mention, the handles that I have found with the large screw, do not have the screwdriver slot in the screw end of the handle. From my collection, that came in when they switched over to the small screw and dust cover in the handle knob.

Chris, I came to the same conclusion as you about the A/R with the hole. I think it was initially used simply as it was the component in use in the 350, and the 400 seems to have been a replacement for the 350, at least for Garcia.

George

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply