Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:08 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:08 pm • #  

Hello all! I'm a newbie here, forgive me if this has been answered already.

I have had my Mitchell 300 since the 1960's and have recently starting fishing some since retirement.

I noticed that my Mitchell's bail rotates the opposite way of all of the modern reels I have seen. I really like this feature about my reel since it presents the line into my right index finger more naturally.

Can someone explain why my older Mitchell's bail rotates in an opposite direction from the modern spinning reels?

Regards to all and Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:53 am • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings JerkBait,
:sSig_welcome4: to the Mitchell Reel Museum.

Over the years, I've seen several discussions concerning the direction that the Mitchell 300 turns, never anybody asking why. :sFun_bricks:

If Maurice Jacquemin was still alive, he might be the man to ask, but he passed a long time ago.

Here's my guess, it might have to do with it being designed for the majority right handed fishermen, and the way the original Mitchell half-bail was designed with the finger flip pick-up lever being place for easy access with the thumb of the left hand. If the direction had been the opposite direction, the bail would have been a pain to get open. Just my opinion.

Regards,

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:25 pm • #  

Thanks for the reply.

For me, on the Mitchell 300, it's so much easier to secure the line with the right index finger as you are getting ready to open the bail for the next cast, since the line naturally rotates into the index finger. I don't have to look at the reel for each cast. Also, it's easy to open the bail without looking at the reel.

If you watch many spinning reel anglers, they have to look down at the reel to secure the line and prepare for the next cast... instead of staying focused on the target for the cast.

Maybe it's just me.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:36 pm • #  
Administrator

Hello JerkBait and :sSig_welcome4:

You guessed it right when you talked about feathering the line. This helped control the distance and accuracy of of your cast. This was talked about in one of the 16mm files I placed here in our forum and on YouTube. To me the bigger question is why did the change it!

Regards,
Wallace :sFun_oldguy:

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:47 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Wallace,
Thanks for straightening me out on this. :sAng_banghead2:
I don't recall running across that bit of info.. Or , maybe, it's one of those "I use to know that" things. :sHa_rollingsmilie:

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:28 pm • #  

The 300 is different than other Mitchell reels in that there is an extra gear in the drive chain. This reverses the direction of the pinion gear that rotates the head. So the cause is mechanical.

If you look at those old Shakespeare spinning reels, the maroon ones, which were good reels, you see that they have a direct drive main to pinion gear. The back and forth action of the spool is operated by a lever mechanism.

The refinement in the Mitchell is the lobed offset gear that performs this function. The 300 has an oblong slide with the other models. Having the central excentric type.

Best wishes,

Glen Simpson

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply