Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:23 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Mitchell 308 - question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:09 pm • #  

I have a Mitchell 308 (made in France) with a serial number of 086997 stamped on the bottom of the foot.

This was my grandfather's, along with an Orvis bamboo rod that was made in 1958. I am curious if the reel is of the same vintage.

First time inquirer so I hope this is the correct spot to ask.
Regards,
JB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:38 pm • #  

JB, first of all :sSig_welcome4: to Mitchell Reel Museum!

Your Mitchell 308 is an early one. These were first produced beginning in the 1959. Your reel was produced early in the production year 1961. Can you tell me if the exterior side body has the letters FR and NCE raised into the cast next to the crank handle?

Sandman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:21 pm • #  

Thanks Sandman...

To answer your question, yes there is 'FR' and 'NCE', that are both raised and by the crank handle.

There is also a Patent Pending on the reel itself with the notation of 2.726.052; along with 'Made in France'.

Appreciate the information.

JB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:27 pm • #  

Thanks JB. Let us know if you have more questions.

Sandman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:45 pm • #  

Sandman - what is the significance of the "FR" and "NCE" that you were asking about.

Thanks,
JB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:49 pm • #  

JB, the "FR NCE" is actually "FRANCE", but since the anti reverse lever stud is placed where the "A" is cast, it reads more like "FRONCE"...as such, some people refer to these reels as FRONCE reels...this is how the made in France was denoted in the reel, until, shortly after your reel, they removed this raised lettering from the casting and cast FRANCE into the bottom of the foot. The FRONCE reels are what collectors refer to as first version 308s. Reels with FRANCE in the bottom of the foot are referred to as second version 308s. First versions, as in any collectible item tend to be more sought after and valuable then later versions. I've recorded 138 FRONCE reels. Of those only three are later serial numbers than yours. This means yours was produced near the very end of the transition from first version to second version 308s...while somewhat interesting, all this really means is your reel being a first version is a bit more collectible than second versions and thus more valuable, though most of that is dependent on condition.

One more question, is the back plate have a red and black decal that states "Prince", or no decal?

Glad to answer questions,
Sandman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:13 pm • #  

Thanks Sandman...it does get more interesting as you dig into things.

To answer your last question, I am not quite sure what the 'back plate' is but I do not have any black or red decals on the reel.

Regards,
JB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:23 pm • #  

JB, your reel likely has Garcia engraved on the front of the body above the crank handle. This means it was distributed by Garcia, Mitchell's only US distributor. Prince reels (red sticker on back) were distributed in Europe only.

Sandman

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply