Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:52 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Version 2 box ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:13 pm • #  

Can anyone help ?

Just bought a 2nd version 300 and it came in it,s own box, does anyone know if the box is an original or a home made piece ?

http://tinypic.com/m/k4xczl/2

http://tinypic.com/m/k4xczm/2

http://tinypic.com/m/k4xczn/2

http://tinypic.com/m/k4xczo/2

Thanks..

Post subject: Re: Version 2 box ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:31 pm • #  

Hi ljm183,
Nice 2nd version egg-shaped Mitchell. Would enjoy seeing additional pics of the box.
Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:40 pm • #  

Click on any one of the pics in the 1st post and it will take you to Tinypics . there's more photos of the box and reel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:54 pm • #  

Thanks ljm183,
I was able to view the additional pics. I've not seen another reel box like yours. Very interesting. If homemade, someone really loved your Mitchell Reel. I'm sure other mates will want to share their observations. Thanks for sharing.
Regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:11 pm • #  
Global Moderator

ljm183,
WOW!
Now, that is a box!
Like Dennis2149, I'd like to see more pics of that box.
My gut tells me that someone that loved his Mitchell took the time to create a box worth that of his reel, but some of the European retailers did things with boxes that we don't see here in the states.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:03 pm • #  

Agree with Ted...cool box...my guess it's either home made (nicely) or from a retailer in Europe...never seen one like that..

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:55 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Thought I'd jump in here too :sHa_biggrin:

ljm183, welcome to the group :sSig_welcome2: .
That reel cleaned up very nicely. I've never seen a box like that but I'm a "never say never" Collector when it comes to Mitchell - You just never know what is going to turn up. You have responses from three of the most knowledgable Collectors here in the Mitchell Museum and I have to agree with them.....It's not original Mitchell. Concurrence from Laroupane and Dries would seal the determination for me. Whoever made that box truly loved Mitchell and that reel - A great find regardless.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:42 am • #  

Thanks for all your replies, comments on the box. Click on the link below to find some more pics of the box.

The box is made of wood and covered in a thick blue cloth, the inner,s are lined in a light blue soft felt cloth. The lid is hinged to the back with a turntable lock the front.

http://tinypic.com/m/k4xj7c/2

Lee.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:26 am • #  
Global Moderator

ljm183,
I'm sticking with my original assumption, and I'll add that whoever made that box knew his stuff. The way the cut the detail so that the reel would rest securely is amazing. I tinker with wood a little and I'm sure there would be a big pile of wood scraps attempting to get that box perfect.
It's a great box.
It reminds me of some of the boxes overseas retailers made for the very early Mitchells.

Did it come from across the Atlantic?

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:29 am • #  

Hey ljm183 and Mates,

Cool box!

No one has yet mentioned the Mitchell logo on the box. If you zoom in on the photo, you can see that it looks like the script was cut by hand with a razor knife (an X-Acto type of knife). Some of the inside and outer curves were not cut smoothly. That's a lot of love - and labor time, added to an already complicated construction.

John

P.S. In addition to homemade, retailer made, here's a wild guess at another possibility, Mitchell custom made as a recognition gift.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:55 am • #  

Hello Ted.

The reel and box i bought from a seller in The Netherlands.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:03 am • #  

Hello John

Just had a good look at the wording on the box. The writing has been cut out using white paper and then painted black, then stuck / glued on to the blue covering.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:08 am • #  

Just a bit more info on the reel, it still runs as good as the day it was made.

Question for the Mitchell collectors. do i leave the reel as it is or have the paintwork restored ? Would restoring the paint devalue the reel ? I,m thinking leave it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:23 pm • #  

The Box: If you compare the Mitchell script to the registered script, it is close, but not exact...I wouldn't think Mitchell would let anything go out of the factory that did not match their patented logo exactly...though at this point, anything is on the table...

Ijm183, The reel: I suggest leaving the reel as is...painting a reel this rare would reduce value IMHO...I would be interested in knowing the main transfer gear make up (if you are taking it apart)...typically, this can better nail down the chronology (about when in production order)...the main transfer gear may be part brass...I notice the spools are quite early...what I would consider 1st version and early second version...I also don't see any red primer, so this reel could easily be a late 1st or early second version (of course Mitchell didn't have versions)...there are a number of other attributes to help understand this, but the main transfer gear may be one of the easiest (if interested)...

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:02 pm • #  

Sandman. if you click on one of the pics in my original post it will open up Tinypics, then click Uploaded stuff, you will find pics of the stripped reel.

Please let me know what you think.

ATB

Lee.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:38 pm • #  

Sandman,

I concede your point about the Mitchell script (see composite photo below). I had seen the left/start of the "M" didn't match, thought it might match "Mitchell" used with Monofil - but I also see not either there. For clarity though, I will say though I wasn't speculating that this was a mass production/factory item; my wild speculation was a craftsman or craftsmen would have been assigned making a gift or gifts to honor someone or some people. Given what Lee has said about paper having been used for the logo, I might have expected a more durable material to have been used.

(A minor point: a trademark is registered, not patented.)

Lee,

Thanks for looking closely at the Mitchell script and sharing.

Warm regards,
John
Attachment:
Mitchell drawing.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:25 pm • #  

John, I knew you were referring to a gift/special presentation vs mass production, but even then, I figured Mitchell would be a stickler on quality control of the trademark...who knows...

Ijm183, I've attached your photos of the transfer gear and a generally accepted transfer gear evolution. You will notice your gear is number 7 (this is according to Wallace's chart and findings)...some may have some slight variation to this evo, but I believe all would agree this gear is mid to later in second version production. As I said prior, one can look at many different attributes to assess this. Note the drive gear does not have a chamfered cut around the inner gear..another indication of a later second version...Also, the alum crank handle roller knob would be correct to the transfer gear chronology...just some thoughts...it's a rare and fantastic reel and box...I would display proudly...

Sandman

Last edited by CDSAND7640 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:25 pm • #  

Drive gear:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:12 pm • #  

Sandman Thanks for putting the photos on, i am having problems posting the pics the way you have,

Yes the transfer gear does look like a No7. Do we have a possible date of manufacture ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:01 pm • #  

Ljm183, good question...there is much discussion surrounding the exact year of production for the first three versions of the Mitchell...most believe second version Mitchell’s were produced somewhere from the early 1940’s to the late 1940’s...no records from the factory exist, so there are various schools of thought of exactly when these were produced, based on facts and anecdotal evidence...

Sandman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:09 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello All

I have seen this box before ...yes in the Netherlands.

I will ask Staff from Albatros if they ever offered the second version in this wooden box .

thats the best I can do for now

regards, Dries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:25 pm • #  

toulady6 wrote:
Hello All

I have seen this box before ...yes in the Netherlands.

I will ask Staff from Albatros if they ever offered the second version in this wooden box .

thats the best I can do for now

regards, Dries

Much appreciated Dries

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply