Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:05 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:46 pm • #  

I have a 300 with a serial number C 273554 and on one end of the foot is stamped a 6. This could also be a 9.
I believe it is a 1954 but I have been unable to find what the 6 or the 9 is . Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:22 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings Fran,
:sSig_welcome4: to The Mitchell Reel Museum.
I don't believe that anyone can say, for sure, what the 6/9 indicates.It's been brought up several times on this site with no real resolution.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:59 pm • #  

Fran, I believe your reel from 1973. The early C series 300 reels were not produced in the 250K quantity range. In fact the 1952-53 reels were not engraved with a 300 model number. You can review the dating guide tab on this site.

The extra letters and numbers off to the side, or sometimes by themselves on the foot, were likely some sort of parts casting code, maybe even done by a contracted supplier, but as Ted states, nobody knows for sure.

Sandman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:18 am • #  

I wonder if this might actually be a reel from 1974?

C prefix numbered early reels from 1954 seem only to have a five number serial number I had thought.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:34 pm • #  

Hello Fran, I believe what Sandman says about it being a 1973 makes sense because in the 70,s they went to a letter prefix that started with the letter A in 1971. It would also help to know the type of a/r lever it has and what script is on the cover plate, also the type of bail would help. All those single numbers and letters are a mystery for Columbo to figure out. Best regards and welcome to the group. John inPa.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply