Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:57 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:27 pm • #  

What are considered to be effective and safe cleaning methods and solvents for older 300's? Many videos skip over identifying that part of the process. What are solvents and degreasers to be avoided? Some YouTube videos tout chemicals that others say to avoid. ???? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:37 am • #  

Hi chumz, and :sSig_welcome4: to the Mitchell Reel Museum...you've come to the right place for all things Mitchell spinning reels...

If you use a toothpick or similar material to scrape out any hardened grease and WD40 and a stiff bristled brush for the remainder, you will never damage your reel and your reel will come clean...if you want to use a higher end WD40 (and a bit more expensive) use Boeshield T9...all other forms of solvents may affect paint and plastics parts...so not recommended.

Sandman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:39 am • #  

Chumz, :sSig_welcome2:
I agree with sandman that WD-40 is one of the best cleaners to use. You will find that just about everyone has their own favorite methods and products they like best. :sHa_okay:

As far as what to avoid I think I will leave that to someone else to comment on, however, I can give you some suggestions as to what does work well and have listed some below for you. I would also like to suggest you do a search of the MRM if you would like to read other opinions and suggestions regarding reel cleaning.

You will discover, as you uncover information in the MRM, that Mitchell Mates like everything from dish washing liquid like Dawn, different degreasers such as Simple Green and solvents such as Odorless Mineral Spirits (aka Paint Thinner). There are those who advocate using ultra sonic cleaners to do the job. All of the above mentioned have proven effective and there are many others as well.

Hope this helps. By the way, as Sandman mentioned, be careful using stainless steel brushes as they can and have damaged parts. Better to stick with Nylon bristled brushes or Brass Brushes.

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:34 am • #  

What you need to avoid is the harsher solvents, like Lacquer Thinner, Acetone Methyl Ethyl Ketone etc. These will attack most paints from the era of Mitchell reels. Either they will dissolve lacquers or craze enamels.

They are also worse for the health than the more ordinary solvents like Mineral Spirits, Low Odour Paint Thinner etc.

Whatever is used, it is best done outside, in the shade (to reduce evaporation)and on a nice day to provide ventilation. Wear solvent resistant gloves and a respirator for the safest results.

I was an Aircraft Refinisher for most of my career in the Canadian Military, so I am very conversant with these products.

Glen Simpson

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply