Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:22 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 23 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Dating One Of My 300"s
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:26 pm • #  

I've been cleaning up my bass reels and came across 5 Mitchell reels that I own. Four 300's and a 330. So; I decided to clean them up as well. One of the 300's (1961) is new in the box (ser. no. missing on box) and I don't think the 330 (1955) has been used in box (ser. no. on box); but I need to replace the bail spring. I'm a little afraid to tear these down. One of the 300's ( a 5th gen.)I'm putting back together now is going into a shadow box for my nephew's new born son. It belonged to his great grandfather. But; I have one that I'm not sure of the date. I bought this in the late 70's used. The serial no. is (_010901). I can not make out the first letter or number. It looks to be a G; but could be a 0,or 6. By the chart: SN G018501 (1977) was the earliest 8th Version I’ve found. it does not match. Any help would be appreciated. If any help; the anti-reverse dog is made of plastic with teeth and the the lever for the anti-reverse on the side plate is one prong. Thanks. This is a great site.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:02 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hobbes,
It would help if you could post a good picture of the side plate on the reel. There are discrete differences between the 7th and 8th versions that could help identify the possibilities.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:18 pm • #  

Hobbes,
I agree with Ted. :clap Please post a photo of the side with the cover plate and a photo showing the opposite side. Make sure the handle does not cover up the anti-reverse mechanism or the writing on the cover plate. :sSW_stormtrooper: Also, please make sure you show the complete reel, including the rotating head in each photo. :eek If you can take a close up of the serial number we may be able to help with that also. :sFun_eyescan:

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:31 pm • #  

I have the reel broken down now for cleaning.
I'll do my best with the photos after cleaning. I'll do some shots of the inside of the reel; as well as the outside. The anti-reverse dog is different than the 5th generation and also; this is also a half bail. Or; what I think is a half bail ( the bail only opens 90 deg.). I've used a Lupe to read the serial number. It's so faint; I don't think a photo of it will help. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:46 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hobbes,
If it's a half bail, it could not be a from the 70's. Pictures will be a great help.

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:04 pm • #  

First; It's not a Half-Bail. When I starting putting the reel back together; I noticed the bail is badly out of shape. Dummy Me.
I'm replacing with a new one. I'm trying to post photos; but no luck. I'm using Windows 7. I went by the directions: Go to " Upload Attachment". Choose File, (file was chosen, my photos) Click Open. It shows the file is being uploaded; but; when I click on preview; I do not see my photos.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:14 pm • #  

I do not know exactly where to post this question, but it seems to somewhat fit the question on dating. I have a 300, 7th generation (no question). Had it in Dec of 1969. I swear there is no serial number stamped in the foot. And that means what exactly? Any ever sold in the late 1960's, early 1970's without the serial number in the foot?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:08 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hobbes,
Try sizing your pictures down to around 750-800 pixels wide. They won't upload if they larger than that.

jbuisman,
Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum!
The usual reason that there isn't a serial number is that the reel body is a replacement part. Did you buy it when it was brand new?

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:19 am • #  

Welcome to the site. AS Ted mentioned you have to resize your pictures to those megapixels. When you do upload your picture(s) you will not see them there, only after they are uploaded and you are redirected to that thread you posted about. Then the pictures you posted will be seen. If you what to make changes or edit your post you must do it then. Once you leave that and sign out you cannot come back to edit. Hope this helps.......
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:19 pm • #  

One of My reels had the serial number stamped on the right side plate of the body (the non drive side or crank side).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:34 pm • #  

Hopefully these are my photos. This is the best I could do on the serial number. One more thing; The crank handle is not spring loaded. It screws out; then you can pivot the handle.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Hobbes on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:36 pm • #  

Number 2

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:37 pm • #  

One More.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:20 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hobbes,
Your reel look like your reel would fit as a SN G018501 (1977).
What do you think that looks different from the 8th version shown in the Gallery? Just curious, I may have missed something.

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:56 pm • #  

Hobbes,
Thank you so much for posting the photos, this really helps to identify the reel. Since the serial number is not completely legible, I agree with Ted, your reel is definitely an 8th version. The eighth version reels were made between 1976-1977 according to Wallace's book.
Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:51 am • #  

Thanks for the help.
Ted, I'm a little confused as to your question.
But; as I understand it; I really had not thought of using the gallery to identify this reel. I'm still trying to learn my way around this site. I'll try to use that from now on.
I did take Greatlake's advice from another post about looking at articles under Board Index. Thanks for that also.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:45 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hobbes,
I got confused when you said " it does not match." I thought you might have been referring to comparisons to the 8th series pictures in the Gallery. Now, I think you were referring to the "Dating" string information. Wallace was just stating that " SN G018501 (1977) was the earliest 8th Version I’ve found.", not that it was the earliest one ever. Yours is a lower SN that any he had found, but still 8th version.
I believe that it was very difficult to know the SNs of when certain versions stopped production, and when new ones started. I would think there were cases when 2 different versions were made at the same time. For example, I think it was possible to get both 3rd and 4th versions in the same era. IMHO

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:01 pm • #  

Hobbes,
Glad you got the information you needed. By the way, if you are thinking about getting into Mitchell reel collecting and are interested in the 300 models, I strongly recommend you buy Wallace's book. It is a lot easier to find a copy right now than it was a year ago. If you need help finding one PM me.
Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:07 pm • #  

All,
Regarding the lack of serial number on the foot. I took it in to have it cleaned up. The reel guy could not find a serial number on the foot or anyplace else on the outside. Told him if he found one inside someplace to write it down. It has been a long time ago and my memory about this reel is somewhat foggy. I am pretty sure I bought it new and the body is the original. I do not believe it has ever been worked on. I put it on a 7 foot Eagle Claw Powerlight (which I think they started making in about 1968). It was still on the Eagle Claw (which is in great shape) when I found it. Used it to fish Steelhead in western Oregon in the fall of 1969 and for several years thereafter.
Jim Buisman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:23 pm • #  
Global Moderator

jbuisman,
I guess that would be possible to get a factory reel with so slight a SN stamp that it can't be seen, but every one I ever run across has a SN either on the back , or on the foot of the reel. Maybe, some of the other mates have found a Mitchell without a SN from that wasn't a replacement.
Whatever, with or without a SN, they are great to either fish, or collect. :sBo_bouncing2:
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:36 pm • #  

Ted,
Well, we will see what the reel cleaning guy comes up with. I had hoped to get the SN for dating purposes, even though I know about when I bought it.
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:04 pm • #  

Maybe something happened to the body and the retailer switched all the parts to a replacement and sold it. If the retailer was a authorized repair center, they would get all kinds of parts sent to them for repairs. This I know for fact.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:11 pm • #  

Now the dealer changing it out before selling it is a possibility I had not thought of, and in the 1960's probably not too uncommon. As I recall, a number of the dealers also had repair services.

Page 1 of 1   [ 23 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply