Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:04 pm • #  

Need help identifying an old Mitchell reel. It looks like a 300, but the only identifying marks are Mitchell in script, "Made in France," and the serial number, 34469. Would very much appreciate learning what model and vintage this is.

JW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:29 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings jw4catz,
Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum.
Based on just you have described, it sounds like you might have an early numbered Mitchell that would have been produced after Mitchell dropped the alpha A, B, C stamping.

You can use both the "Gallery" and the "Dating" links at the top of this page to compare you reel to those talked about there. You may have to refresh these links to get where you need to be. The site is old and it can be cranky, sometimes.

If your complete serial number is correct, I'd think it would be a 4th version made around 1952/1953, but it isn't uncommon for the serial numbers to be very hard to read. This can be a bit misleading, sometimes.

You could also post pictures on this site using the "Upload attachment" feature found below the posting area. If you try this, make sure you size the pictures to no more than 850 pixels across.

Regards,

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:44 pm • #  

Thank you for the quick reply. What service!

That's about what I suspected after reading the material about dating here on the web site. The serial number is actually very clear, and the reel is in very nice condition for it's age—only a little rust/corrosion on the spool housing and the reel seat, a little paint loss on the gear housing, very smooth spinning.

This is left over from my late father-in-law's "collection" (i.e., hoard), and I would like to find it a good home. He may have used it in the distant past but it has been sitting in my mother-in-law's basement for decades, which seems a shame since it appears ready to go fishing.

JW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:08 pm • #  
Global Moderator

jw4catz,
I know that the builder of the MRM, Wallace Carney, had both seen and owned more Mitchells that I can ever imagine, and the lowest non-alpha character serial number that he had found was #40779, so yours is 6000 lower. That may make your reel desirable to Mitchell collectors.
If you want to part with it, you can either place it on ebay, or on our "For Sale or Wanted" link on this page. Be sure to add several photos so anyone interested will see the condition of the reel.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:29 pm • #  

Wow. Just one more surprise from my father-in-law's "collection." I noticed that it seemed like a low serial number, but had a hard time believing this one could be that much lower than the one Mr. Carney had found.

You might find this one sold last month on ebay interesting—serial number 17037 (see the next to last picture for close up view):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitchell-Garci ... 7675.l2557

I will take photos and post here. I feel like your members should get first shot at it. Thank you for the info and advice. Very much appreciated.

JW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:24 am • #  
Global Moderator

jw4catz,
Mitchell reels are famous for bad serial number stamps. Without holding the reel on ebay to know for sure, I'd say that there may be a very light "1" in front of the serial numbers that can be easy seen. I'd base that on the slight mark, to the left, of the easily seen "1" . I base that on that light mark, and on the box that the reel is in with the pasted on label. They were put on a bit later.

As always, just my opinion.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply