Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:01 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Distance casting rods?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:46 am • #  

Hello Mates, I've been thinking about and have a question on what rods where used in conjunction with the special made tournament reels that are discussed and shown on the forum? You don't hear or see anything about the rods , were they off the rack or as I would presume special made , did the rules limit the length, was the diameter of the guides limited . Do any of the Mates have any photos taken at any of these tournaments either of the contestants while casting or just milling around standing with their outfit in hand? Regards to all , John in Pa.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:15 pm • #  

Hello John,

Great topic and thought provoking questions......I don't have an answer for a single one :blush . I do believe that the rods were custom made because based on the Garcia Fishing Annuals and Garcia Tackle Catalogs (Trades Magazines) I have never seen one advertised or even discussed. I think Tournament Casting, while a sport here in the U.S., was much larger and was much more competitive throughout Europe. I'm still researching though and will report back on any findings.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:14 pm • #  

Hi Chris, Thank you for the response to my multiple quiz about distance casting. I really didn't think there was much information about that subject out there . Maybe one of our European Mates can fill in some of the blanks. I'm sure it must have gotten some kind of coverage and documentation if only more so in Europe. Regards, John in Pa.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:42 pm • #  

Hey John in Pa,

Interesting question indeed. Unfortunately, no answers from me either.

In regard to tournament casting reels, I have wondered myself how much Garcia was an intermediary for American tournament casters to Mitchell or whether American casters interacted directly with Mitchell. As far as rods, since Narmco became the The Conolon Corporation, a Division of the Garcia Corporation in 1960, one might think Garcia had an expectation or requirement for their tournament casters to use Conolon production or custom rods. There may have been 2 categories of tournament casters, independents using Mitchell (possibly with non-Conolon rods) and Garcia paid consultants using Mitchell (likely with Conolon).

I do think it is very likely that someone who obtained a customized/specialized tournament casting reel would have also obtained a customized/specialized rod (whether for accuracy or distance).

Hey Chris,

In comparison, Mitchell tournament casting reels weren’t listed in Garcia Annuals or Trade Catalogs either.

Hey Mates,

Joan Salvato (later Wulff) and Johnny Dieckman were the famous tournament casters for Garcia (Wallace has their films at MRM, although not about tournament casting). I do remember some content about tournament casting in the ’62 Annual and possibly others. Articles with content on Joan Wulff had not great titles – something like “fishing widow” and “Garcia’s girl Friday”.

Tim Barton had posted an excellent history of NARMCO on the earlier version of the MRM. Received from Tim, Wallace had posted some scanned pages on NARMCO (without citing source/date) that included much information on Johnny Dieckman’s successful tournament casting. The only mention I saw of custom tournament rods was that Johnny Dieckman started out making bamboo custom tournament casting rods.
https://mitchellreels.ourboard.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=615

Cheers,
John
Attachment:
Garcia-Ballantine 1965 Mug + Patch.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:47 pm • #  

Attachment:
s-l400.jpg

Found this on ebay today.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:54 pm • #  

Mitchell 1965,

Do you know the ebay number?

Thanks,

JF.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:32 pm • #  

Jeremy,

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:38 am • #  

Thanks for that Gary.

JF.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:52 pm • #  

You are welcome Jeremy. Glad i could help.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply