Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:19 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Home Page Dating Guide?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:57 pm • #  

On the home page of this site under the window called Dating Guide, is an image of a spiral bound book. I can barely make out the title but it says something like: "Mitchell - Making of a Legend" or similar. Did this book ever actually exist? Was this written by Wallace Carney?
Kind Regards,
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:18 am • #  

If anyone is interested, I am answering my own question, or at least partially answering it.

While going through the various topic tabs at the top of the page I found under the Dating tab a note from Wallace. If you read through it you will find the following he wrote:

"There were certain “events” that happened and documented that helped “date” a change in the reel. Other artifacts and celebrations also documented dates. These are from a continuing spreadsheet study I originally did and self-published in January 2006 called Mitchell ~ Rebirth of a Legend. Because this is not an exact science some may be off but they can’t be by much".

I believe this is what I see. My only unanswered question is did the spiral bound booklet exist as shown? I asked because I would like to buy one but I have not been able to find out yet.

Kind Regards,
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:05 am • #  
Global Moderator

GreatLaker,
Wallace is ,probably, the only person that can answer your question. I know ,I've never seen that spiral bound book anywhere else but in that picture. Maybe, that was the prototype of the book he published?

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:40 pm • #  

I agree with you Ted. Sometimes when they put these books together supposedly completed they might find something extra around the time of the printing. The only books I know of that I spiral-bound are Dennis Roberts book and Mike D'Amato. Sorry for the spelling Mike. Wallace may have made a limited number of those books and sent them to the people that helped him with the books with extra information. It has happened with other Mitchell enthusiast that I have seen first-hand. Time will tell on the outcome. I have both of Wallace's books, the soft copy and the hard copy limited printing.
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sCo_hmmthink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:51 pm • #  

Mates,
Thanks Ted and Kim for replying.

No harm in checking I guess.

I don't know about you guys but I just can't get enough information on Mitchell Reels at the moment. I currently have a copy of Wallace's' soft cover and would love to get a hold of one of the hard covers. Any suggestions?

I am not familiar with Mike D'Amato's book, googled him but no luck?

Fortunately, I bought one of Dennis Roberts books back when he was selling them on ebay but it was not the spiral bound book. Would love to locate the spiral bound book but they are getting really tough to find.

Thanks for your help.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:47 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Bill,
I think, the Mitchell Reel Museum was created so that guys like you and I could, possibly, get answers for all the questions we have.
I know that it can be a tedious process, but there is huge amount of information on Mitchell reels located in these links.
In fact, Wallace could probably publish another book based on information stored here.
The problem would be categorizing all the posts so that it would make sense to a reader.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:17 am • #  

[quote="Ted Lanham"]Bill,
I think, the Mitchell Reel Museum was created so that guys like you and I could, possibly, get answers for all the questions we have.
I know that it can be a tedious process, but there is huge amount of information on Mitchell reels located in these links.
In fact, Wallace could probably publish another book based on information stored here.
The problem would be categorizing all the posts so that it would make sense to a reader.

Regards,
Ted Lanham[/quote]

Ted,
You are right again my friend. I thought I was getting closer to finishing reading the site but just when I think I'm done I find more! It is truly amazing what Wallace and the others have done here. It was so gracious of all of them, to do this, for people everywhere.

I surely hope Wallace does publish another book, so much to learn and understand from one of the best. For that matter, I hope others who are at his level publish their works ASAP before it is lost forever.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply