Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Which saltwater reel?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:54 am • #  

Hi everyone,

I took up fishing two years ago after I retired. I have a little inflatable boat which I take out on local estuaries and fish for mackerel and bass mostly. I use 2 Abu boat rods with AG7000 reels. I also have a little spinning rod 5' 6" on which I fitted a lovely little Mitchell 325, which I picked up on ebay very cheaply. I have used this combination on the Norfolk Broads (freshwater) where I go on holiday once a year, but I wanted a saltwater reel to take out on my boat, so, back I went on ebay and bought n almost mint 387. BUT, I didn't realise how big a 387 is, and I really want a reel similar in size to the 325. Is there such a thing? Or can I use the 325 in salt water if I keep it well cleaned and serviced? I am just about to strip and service these two Mitchells using the wonderful videos by Wallace Carney.

Regards to all.
Geoff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:54 am • #  

It can be used in salt water if the usual after use care is done...perhaps a total stripdown and cleaning.

When boat fishing at sea, the problematic issue might be in encountering something big enough that takes all your line and/or simply overpowers your rod and reel. Marine reels are usually beefy and have the capacity to take a large amount of heavy test line.

That 387 is a bit rare; given that it is in mint condition as well you might want to hold on to it as a collector item. You would have to get a heavier rod to use it properly too.

Other reels to consider might be the 305, 315 and 307 going from smallest to largest. The 305/315 would best match your current rod. The 307 would need a stouter rod, it's considered to be heavy freshwater/light saltwater.

One issue is that Mitchell made far fewer left hander's reels, so fewer are still out there to acquire.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:41 pm • #  

Thank you for your reply. That's exactly what I wanted. The 315 looks a lovely reel but a quick look online found nothing (apart from lots of spare parts).
My 387 isn't quite mint but is in very nice condition and I intend to use it, albeit on a bigger rod. Might have to leave one of the 7000s at home. But I do enjoy spinning with light gear and I would much prefer to have an old Mitchell on my rod.
Thanks again.
Geoff

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply