Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:47 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:03 pm • #  

I went to a small tackle shop today near where I live, and found this old CAP reel...
As you can see in the pictures, it shows some wear, but it still works great. I've read in the gallery about the CAP reels, but am not sure exactly what version this is, and approximately when it was made.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:22 pm • #  
Global Moderator

hello Mike 408 ,

Your half bail CAP is as far as I can see the last version with the half bail made around 1951/52
It looks in a nice condition !
Chris is our Cap man maybe he can tell you more about it .
nice find

regards,

Dries :sAni_fish:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:36 pm • #  

Good morning Dries. Thanks for the information. I truly appreciate it...
The more I look at it, the more I like it. It's interesting looking at this reel, and then comparing it to my 314, and seeing how this design all began.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:46 pm • #  

Hi again Mike,

Fantastic Half-Bail CAP :tup ! Dries was right on the mark (very good for a 308/358/408 expert.....although he does have a 2nd version CAP Albatros that will drop your jaw and make your eyes water :sFun_eyescan: :sHa_lol: ).

You have the last of the half-bail CAPs. Most will call it a 4th version but it's actually a 5th version CAP. There was an earlier straight shaft half bail CAP from the mid 1930s that isn't credited as the first version. Yours is early 1950s - it doesn't have a serial number which makes it harder to pin down a year but that version was available from 1949-1953. The follow on CAP had a full bail and plastic knob handle - otherwise identical and known as the "CAP 54".

Congratulations on a nice start to your "round body" collection! I have been collecting Mitchells for several years and the round bodies are my favorites. I attribute it to my first Mitchell was a 304 that my Dad gave me when I graduated from 8th Grade in 1973....been in love with them since and still fish with my original. There is not a lot of documentation on the CAP/304s and they are often considered the "mules at the horse show" :sHa_biggrin: in the collecting world. Not as sexy as the 300s and 400s but they are elegant in their own style and will pull a stump! I guess that's why I love them. Here are a few of mine:

Attachment:
Mitchell Round Bodies.jpg

Only a couple of duplicates so you can see there are many variations. These are CAPs, 304/305s, 304Ss, 314/315s and 340s of varying versions and BHV, Albatros, Balzer, ARCA, PRISU, as well as cut-aways.

As I said in your other post, please let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything......gotta love the "round bodies" :sCh_fisherman:

Best Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:03 pm • #  

Hi again Chris, and thanks again for the information :-)
I have learned a lot in just the few minutes it took me to read
both of your posts...

WOW.... Thanks for sharing the picture too. You have an incredible collection and a very nice display setup.
I was feeling fairly good about my little start of a collection, until I saw your picture.

Actually for no longer than I have been doing it, I am still happy with it. It's a good start, but I find myself thinking what it might look like in 6 months to a year.
I guess that all depends on how much the wife is paying attention to our checking account :sHa_biggrin:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:27 pm • #  

Hi Mike,

:sHa_lol: :sHa_lol: :sHa_lol: I completely understand. My financial advisor (Wife) frequently :sAng_banghead2: and then I'm :sFun_bricks: .

Thank you for the nice compliment - I don't know of any collector (and I know some of the world's finest) that didn't start out exactly like you and I. Learning about Mitchells, studying the history and the reels you currently have is almost as much fun as the aquisition (although I have been pretty beside myself on receiving a few of these reels).

This Museum contains incredible information. I would also recommend collecting reference material, advertising etc. I sometimes wish I had studied more and talked to other more knowledgable collectors when I was starting out. It's a great hobby and for some of us a passion...I love spending time in my reel room playing with reels, online or the phone with other collectors.....unfortunately it get's interrupted with work and sleep :nono

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:24 pm • #  

You are welcome. I completely understand. I collected old Colts and Winchesters for quite a few years, and that was one of the enjoyable things about getting a new gun. Trying to learn about it...

I still have some great reference books pertaining to both brands, and spent hundreds of hours talking to other collectors.

I joined The Cody Museum. The have most of the old records for Winchesters as well as a museum.
They can tell you when it was made, what day it shipped from the factory, and where the gun was shipped. They can even tell you how the gun was ordered. Things like barrel length, and special wood or engraving and which version of sights it left the factory with. That is very helpful because you can tell if the gun has been altered, or if it is in it's original configuration...
There are some rifles they can even tell you if the gun was involved in any military activity, or if it has historical significance.

Colt is very similar as far as being able to track history.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply