Mitchell 308 size reels

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Regular_reel

Mitchell 308 size reels

Post by Regular_reel »

Good Morning/Afternoon All,

I wonder if I could ask which models are the same size roughly as the 308 please, so I don't miss any that should be on my radar for lighter closer in work on the rivers here in the UK?
I am finding getting a good condition 308, to use rather than collect, is harder than I thought.

The 310 UL always looked nice, but I am pretty certain they are newer and not made in France?

Many thanks all.

All the Best,

Steve

Ted Lanham

Re: Mitchell 308 size reels

Post by Ted Lanham »

Steve,
Here's a chart that, I believe, covers all similar size Mitchell reels. The reel models are listed at the top, and the reel production in the columns. The chart doesn't include a 308A that was made in France. You may need to consider one of the 304 size reels. They are loved by many.

Regards,
Ted Lanham
Attachments
Chart-4.jpg
Chart-4.jpg (337.45 KiB) Viewed 1873 times

don309

Post by don309 »

The 204 is around the same size. 204 is a little smaller. You don't see many of them, and parts are getting harder to get.

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
Regular_reel

Post by Regular_reel »

Thanks ever so much both of you, much appreciated. :text-thankyouyellow:

I never like to assume I know all the answers on these things, so it’s great to get some good advice and options I’d probably never thought of.
The 508 and 908 were not on my radar at all for instance.

The occasional nice 204 does come up at decent prices in the U.K. it seems, I have wondered to try one for a while.

All the best,

Steve

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hi again Steve,

A 320 and 324 are also about the same size. Their body shape is similar to the 204. The 324 has the button to remove the spool, the 320 does not. The 324 also has a better anti reverse lever. My first Mitchell was a 320.

A 314 has the removable spool. The 304 does not, so the 314 is a slightly better version of the 304.

I own both a 308 and a 304, I like both of them.

Glen

don309

Post by don309 »

Steve,
If you decide to get a 204, do yourself a favor get an extra spool or 2. The spools are getting hard to get here USA now. See my post in Reel Talk Backing off drag.

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
Regular_reel

Post by Regular_reel »

Hi Glen and Don,

Thanks very much, there’s some great options you’ve both pointed out there, now I’ve looked at availability and prices too.

It looks like you can buy certainly the 324 models for quite low money here in the UK, and there seem to be spools for those going too. The 320 seems to be around the same money, but from what you’ve pointed out, the better features seem to suggest I might as well get the 324 instead if both are similar in cost.
I suspect they cost more than “over the pond” for you both, but that’s the same for most things here haha!

I like the look of the 304 and 314, and those can be bought for maybe 2/3rds of a 324, so I think I might need to dabble in one of those too. For the great value they all seem to be, I can afford to try a few and see what works for me.

I’m just now looking at the 204 also, and seeing if any spools by themselves are for sale.

All the best,

Steve

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hi Steve,

One thing you need to know about the 320/324 that I failed to mention, is that both reels have a plastic rotating head body. I don’t know how much it affects the reels longevity and usage, but you often see the fading effects from sunlight in photos of these reels. If you can find one that the head is still black, it could indicate a good reel to purchase. The plastic fades tp a bluish grey colour. I think the spools may be of the same plastic.

Maybe they will last like any other Mitchell, some having survived 50 years now.

Glen

Regular_reel

Post by Regular_reel »

Hi Glen,

Thanks ever so much for this, I will keep this in mind for sure. Another well know and well regarded brand of reel (which I of course won't mention here) seemed to suffer with faded plastic spools, but I don't think as you say, it ever really caused any issues. :-)

Sorry about my late reply, I've not been able to get on to reply for a bit.

All the best,

Steve

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hello again Steve,

My concern about a plastic rotating head is more to address the threaded screw holes in the plastic. Are the threads rugged enough for the usage that is intended for the reel? I have a Mitchell 2250R which has the plastic spool faded to the same grey that I see in 320s on ebay. I don't think the fading is significant for a reel that is a fisher, a collector level reel may be another matter.

If you can pick up a a 320/324 for a reasonable price it is likely a good idea to get it. I haven’t seen one since I lost the 320 that I owned about 50 years ago. They are not common here.

Best Wishes

Glen