Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:50 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:46 pm • #  

trying to find information/value on a Garcia Spinette real made 1954 Germany. Robert, USA

"Postings from emails to the Mitchell Reel Museum"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:05 am • #  

Hi Robert, I have a small collection of Garcia spinette reels.i think there was an issue for the U.S. market and also for the European market.the U.S. version will say garcia spinette on the side cover and have a round handle knob.a euro version,the side cover will have a fish and the word "platil" in a circle and the word spinette under the circle. Under the word spinette three initials "dbp". Euro version side covers will have a fish and no word platil in a circle and the word spinette under the circle, also has 3 initials dbp. The bail wire is different on this version, it has a roller guide and the handle knob is flat.

I have recently purchased a 1/2 bail which I have not received as yet. Not much attention for these reels and the price structure tells the story. I have seen these reels sell for $5.00 to $35.00 and a $35.00 reel would be mint.hope this helps. Doug

see:

Vintage SPINETTE spinning reel half bale Garcia

Last edited by anonymous on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:25 am • #  

Hello Doug,

Knowing you've been collecting Mitchell and the Spinette reels for decades, I was hoping you'd do the reply, Thanks Mate!

I've never seen the half bail like the one you bought so I added a link to your post. Please let us know what you think when you receive it?

Best Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:41 pm • #  

hi wallace, thanks for adding the link,i didnt know how to do it, and didnt think of it. doug

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:31 am • #  

Hi All,

Thanks for the info. Comments made years ago, I know, but you may still be connected and other searchers may enjoy some Garcia content from 1954 (below). From the catalogs I have, Spinette was present 1954-56 (not in '53 or '57).

Last edited by J Fishkat on Sun May 14, 2017 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:47 am • #  

1954 loose page for the trade (which matches 1954 consumer catalog content). 1955 and 1956 consumer catalogs do not show $15 reel box with extra spool.

Attachment:
Garcia 54 trade loose page Spinette 1s.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia 54 trade loose page Spinette 2s.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:02 pm • #  

Page from 1956 consumer catalog.

Attachment:
Garcia 56 Catalog p011 Spinnette Reel s.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:02 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings J Fiskat,
Welcome to The Mitchell Reel Museum. :sBo_bounce2:
That's some great paper for a reel I don't know much about, but there was one eBay recently that got my interest. I never used one of these so I don't know how they would compare to the ulta lites Mitchell produced.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:10 am • #  

Ted,

I don't own a Spinette, so I am not able to tell you about its performance - I was looking into the Spinette for a contact.

A German collector contact has informed me this reel was made by Plate (Bonn, Germany) - as Doug had written above. Attached is a Plate catalog cover from around 1956-58 - the collector thinks. The cover shows the Spinette, as well as the Atlantis (which Charles Garcia imported/cataloged 1953-54). I have Atlantis catalog images if there is interest. Note also on the Plate cover are other Charles Garcia imports: Kopper Wobbler and Platyl line/leader.

John

Attachment:
Plate _56-8 catalog cover.jpg

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:56 pm • #  

Wallace wrote: "I am holding one and it's actually a very well made reel, a lot better than the Galion reels that came later IMO."

http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=140&hilit=spinette&sid=8e8f35c0cbfbcad8dce54154c0e5f6e7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:30 pm • #  

Hi John and Ted,

Here are my Spinette reels. One is a Platil Spinette and one is a Garcia Spinette. I believe both are from 1954-1955. Platil was the manufacturer of these reels in Germany and the Garcia Spinette was the North American distribution. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Garcia Spinette was very short lived, 12 - 18 months because Mitchell took exception to Garcia's name on a reel manufactured by a competitor.
Attachment:
Spinette.jpg

Attachment:
Spinette 1.jpg

Attachment:
Spinette 2.jpg

These reels are well made and quite simple. Note that the bail snaps shut when making contact with the reel stem. I would put them in the same class as the Mitchell 320.

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:51 pm • #  

Here is the reel I purchase from Ben Wright before he passed away. The box is a little rough but complete. Also if you notice the spelling of the fishing line is different from Garcia to original. If you look on the box and one of my photos and the Box of the fishing line it has the same fish jumping with the hook in its mouth. Enjoy.
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sHa_okay:

Last edited by piscesman on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:53 pm • #  

Now the various fishing line. Notice how they're both almost identical.
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:54 pm • #  

The Garcia spinning reel in the Box.
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sAni_fish:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:56 pm • #  

More pictures of fishing line.
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:58 pm • #  

Last ones. I know it's a duplicate picture but this is to compare with the fish and the label of each item :sCh_fisherman: :sCo_hmmthink:
Kim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:38 am • #  

Kim,

Quote from history of Platil webpage:
http://www.platil.de/uk/historie_uk_01.php

Quote:
In 1947, the company was founded under the name Dr Plate Chemische Fabrik GmbH by Dr Karl Plate, a renowned inventor, in Bonn...

In 1949, Dr Karl Plate registered the first monofilament plastic-fibre fishing line under the trade name PLATIL, which became a well-known trademark all over the world and is now probably the oldest existing brand name for monofilament fishing lines. The name PLATIL was conceived by combining the name of its inventor, Dr PLATE, with the word FILAMENT.

It looks like Charles Garcia changed the name to Platyl for the US market.

John

Attachment:
622433.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:30 am • #  

Kim,

Just to confirm, the fish logo is a Platil registered trademark (see below). Your Platyl boxes or spools should have "Germany" on them somewhere, according to US marking statute (from 1890 on) to identify country of origin. (I see your Garcia yellow cardboard Platyl box from the 60s does have "made in Germany".)

John
Attachment:
DE500000000967062.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:59 pm • #  

Chris and Kim,

:sFun_eyescan:
Very cool stuff you've collected!
:sBo_bouncing2:

John

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:03 pm • #  

John and Kim,

Great information on these reels and history of Platil/Platyl. I've had these reels in my collection for a few years but never really knew much about them - Thanks for the education. My Spinette reels came from the aforementioned Doug in this thread. We stay in touch and are very good friends.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:13 am • #  

Hello collectors, Hello Chris,
You have with your Spinette 30 from the company Dr. Plate the first model :sHa_clap2: .
It is very rare and from 1953 since the inscription "Platil" and DBPa is present.
In the later models the inscription "Platil" is missing and they are only marked with DPD.
greetings Walter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:36 pm • #  

Hello Walter,

Thank you very much for the information. These reels are very well made and a nice part of my collection but I had no idea that the Platil reel was special. I would be interested in your expertise on the Platil brand in addition to John and Kim's

Kind Regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply