How not to pack a Mitchell reel.

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Fishabout

How not to pack a Mitchell reel.

Post by Fishabout »

Well it was unfortunately my misfortune to purchase a 1st version 498 Pro mib for someone who did not have the slightest clue on how to pack a reel for safe international travel.
Pictures tell the story . I usually am excited to open a fresh package with a nice Mitchell inside not on this occasion. Cheers .

Sandman

Re: How not to pack a Mitchell reel.

Post by Sandman »

So sorry…that is sad…I wonder if there is any recourse on the shipping company..

Sandman

Fishabout

Post by Fishabout »

Hi Sandman sad alright. The seller " private deal not ebay" is at fault not the shipping companies.
He may as well have put it in a plastic bag for its 16,000 km journey. Cheers

piscesman

Post by piscesman »

Ted, it's shame the seller packed and shipped a rare reel with box that way. I've had my share of packages ending up that way over the years. Truly amazing of clueless people that send stuff through the mail. My recent purchase was an old Garcia Conolon rod with tube. Well, the seller with 7,000+ sales shipped it to me using clear tape on the tube and no cover of any kind on tube. Lable was attached directly to the outside of the tube. Tube split apart. Amazing the rod, from what I could see, wasn't broken. Bought it 4 weeks ago and still haven't opened it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

Fishabout,
Long ago I started asking sellers to ensure the safety of the reel box/reel by shipping well packed inside a larger box. Some sellers take the request as an insult, but I think it's necessary. Some people just don't get it that either the boxes. or tubes are part of the deal.

Ted

Fishabout

Post by Fishabout »

Thankfully the box did a great job somehow. Cheers

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Ted Lanham wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:38 pm Long ago I started asking sellers to ensure the safety of the reel box/reel by shipping well packed inside a larger box. Some sellers take the request as an insult, but I think it's necessary. Some people just don't get it that either the boxes. or tubes are part of the deal.
Ted

Ted,
I agree 100% and I always send shipping/packing instructions w/each new Mitchell item I buy from eBay. Some sellers follow my method and some don't. I try and make my instructions reasonable and if they want more money to comply I will gladly pay a few bucks to make sure my new treasure arrives in tip top condition. Those who do not and ship unsafely get an appropriate rating. Why isn't this fair to all?? :text-feedback:
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

Bill,
All that sounds reasonable.

Ted