Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:29 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Assuming there's interest, I thought it would be fun to have a thread with pre 1952 advertising and other written information on the Mitchell Spinning Reel in the US. 1952 on is well covered by Charles Garcia catalog pages and outdoor magazine advertisements, but pre 1952 things are sparser.

I start with a 1950 Abercrombie & Fitch catalog with nice things to say about the Mitchell Reel.

John

Attachment:
Abercrombie+Fitch 1950 p014 Mitchell a.jpg

Attachment:
Abercrombie+Fitch 1950 p014 Mitchell.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by J Fishkat on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:34 pm • #  

Here's a local newspaper ad from April 15, 1949 in Plattsburgh, NY.

Attachment:
Plattsburgh Press-Republican April 15, 1949 a.jpg

Attachment:
Plattsburgh Press-Republican April 15, 1949.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:44 pm • #  

An illustration from the book, Spinning Reels and Tackle, copyright 1949 by George V. Thommen printed in the USA. The intention was a guide for Americans on the latest spinning techniques and equipment. Not much was said about any of the reels. Mitchell was described as a French brand known in the US.

Attachment:
Mitchell in Thommen 1949.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:24 pm • #  

A couple Charles Garcia ad's from 1949 Field & Stream Magazine:
Attachment:
4904 F&S 093 Mitchell Reel.jpg

Attachment:
4902 F&S 072 Mitchell Reel.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:21 pm • #  

Excellent reference material. I sense a pattern developing .....
It all chimes with the UK at that time; where Milbro began selling the MK.2. Mitchell in 1948 at around the same time that French and UK patents were applied for (which makes sense).
Confirmation of the timing of Milbro's involvement can be found in the interview with and article by Barrie Welham which are both to be found elsewhere on this site.
In the adverts galley on this site is a 1976 Garcia ad. which retrospectively shows that that the MK.3. reel was available in May 1951 at $27.50.
Many thanks Fishkat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:31 pm • #  

Here is a photograph of the “French Mitchell Spinning Reel” and page from the The Sportsman’s Bookshelf Volume VIII Fresh-Water Fishing Methods copyright 1950 printed in the USA.

I am working on getting more materials from this period in the US and will post as I obtain them.

Tinca, thank you for your comments.

Attachment:
Mitchell in SBv8 1950.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:10 pm • #  

Hi John,

Here's my addition to the thread. This ad is from 1951 but I'm not sure of the source. This is the oldest advertising in my collection.
Attachment:
1951 Mitchell Ad.jpg

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:32 pm • #  

Hey Chris,

Very nice! (I see you have it under glass.)

Your ad was referenced in a 1976 Garcia ad [as mentioned by Rolands (Tinca) above in this thread], which MRM has an image of here:
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php/Garcia_mitchell_300-301_reel_1946-1974_advertisments

If I find which 1951 magazine(s), as well as possibly any months in addition to May, I will let definitely let you know.

John

Attachment:
Garcia 1976 ad ref Mitchell 5105 ad.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:21 pm • #  

Hi John,

Thanks for the 1976 reference ad. I've never seen that one before. I love the old advertising and have many ads framed, hanging in my reel room to fill in between the reel display racks. Most of them are from the mid 1950s but I did have this one from 51. :tup

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:44 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

I have obtained some more Abercrombie & Fitch catalog copies.

1947:
Only one spinning reel is offered, Luxor.

1948:
I have not yet obtained a copy. Does anyone have one to share?

1949:
CORRECTION – the catalog’s reel image/page posted at the start of this thread are actually from the 1949 catalog, not 1950 as I stated. The library I obtained this copy from made an incorrect identification. Please see attached image below of page 1, bottom middle, with “1949” printed.

1950:
Same illustration of reel and text as 1949 catalog. Please see attached images below of 1950 catalog’s date page and spinning reel page with Mitchell.

1951:
Same illustration and text as 1949 catalog (1951 content is not shown here).

John
Attachment:
Abercrombie & Fitch 1949 p001 date.jpg

Attachment:
Abercrombie & Fitch 1950 p001 date.jpg

Attachment:
Abercrombie & Fitch 1950 p017 Mitchell.jpg

Last edited by J Fishkat on Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:53 pm • #  

More Abercrombie & Fitch. Into 1952 (later than the intent for this thread), but helpful for tracking this retailer's content.

1952:
Same illustration as 1949 catalog. Description/text, however, offers left or right hand models with automatic pick-up and level wind. Please see attached images below.
Attachment:
Abercrombie & Fitch 1952 p001 date.jpg

Attachment:
Abercrombie & Fitch 1952 p013 Mitchell a.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:35 pm • #  

Hey Chris and Mates,

I now have confirmation of the May, 1951 Mitchell Reel ad by Charles Garcia. That ad appeared in Field & Stream May, 1951 on page 112. I see Chris' ad (above in this thread) appeared on a page 99 - so clearly it appeared elsewhere, as well. [That ad may have appeared in other F&S editions and/or other outdoor magazines (as we know occurred with other Garcia ad's later on).]
Attachment:
5105 F&S 112 Mitchell Reel.jpg

Another interesting thing, not immediately noticeable, about this ad is "Fair Traded" appearing directly under the $27.50 price. "Fair Traded" was also stamped on Mitchell Reel boxes. What "Fair Traded" meant was that Charles Garcia had set the selling price at $27.50, which retailers needed to comply with (they could not discount that price). If you are interested, please see this thread for more background information:
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=5412&start=30&sid=bcb10b1c5e22bdae8e4f7e15ee34b31e

John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:25 pm • #  

Fiber-glass spinning rods in 1951?? Is that right? They didn't arrive in the UK until 1953 and cost a fortune! I had heard it was an American invention, so it probably should happen in the US sooner, though it was in use by the UK War Department during world war two, so maybe pre-dates the war?

Nice collection of adverts, I wish we had such an archive here in the UK, but apart from a few Milbro ones that's it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 pm • #  

Mates,

Here’s a photo of the "French Mitchell Spinning Reel” in The Fisherman’s Encyclopedia, Ira N. Gabrielson, editor, copyright 1950, printed in the US. The photo looks close enough to be the same (likely, in that case, provided by Charles Garcia) as published in The Sportsman’s Bookshelf Volume VIII Fresh-Water Fishing Methods copyright 1950 (see thread above).

That said, the photo in another book, Spinning Reels and Tackle, copyright 1949 by George V. Thommen (see thread above), is different (spool and handle positions in the 2 photos are different).

John

Attachment:
1950 Fishermans Encyclopedia pg208.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:32 pm • #  

Mates,

Here is some interesting (maybe fun?) content from Fresh and Salt Water Spinning by Eugene Burns, US copyright 1952 (printed in Canada).

Bailarm,

Checkout the Mitchell on the author’s homemade glass rod. I have a few custom-made tubular-fiberglass rods (which I love) from this time, however, their blanks are not from Conolon, rather that other company in California with the seahorse logo :-) .

John

Attachment:
1952 Fresh and Salt Water Spinning author_photo.jpg

Attachment:
1952 Fresh and Salt Water Spinning Mitchell text.jpg

Attachment:
1952 Fresh and Salt Water Spinning Mitchell Reel.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:22 am • #  

What a great collection of Images! I love that shot of Eugene Burns.

Fibreglass rod blanks to build your own rods with....we could only have dreamed of them in the UK!
One old-time rod maker I know who worked for Allcocks, our biggest firm at that time, spent months making up hand-filed mandrels in metal in 1952 to allow the manufacture of fibreglass rods, only for the firm to abandon the idea after all his hard work was finished. He believed that Allcock were the only firm working on such a project but in fact others secretly were too and in 1953 Allcock launched a single spinning rod called the KBX Kastlite to coincide with the new Queen's Coronation.

Incidentally, the images of reels contains one extra not mentioned in the text, bottom left is an Allcocks Duco, but it is in fact a JW Youngs Ambidex re-painted black and badged for trading partner Allcock.

I know that Allcock set up a North American base in Toronto in the 1800s so maybe there are a fair few UK made reels in the US still. They even finished off American lures in Canada, buying in unpainted Creek Chub 'plugs' from Indiana.

Thanks for posting all this stuff John :sSig_thankyou:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:54 pm • #  

Hey Mates,

Here's a July 3, 1951 ad by distributor Charles Garcia (not by a retailer) in a local newspaper, The Times Herald, Port Huron, MI.

I find this ad interesting because in addition to promoting the Mitchell Spinning Reel, mentioned are C.A.P., Mitchell Companion Rod, Mitchell Monofil, and Platyl.

Does anyone have an idea what Catalog "H" is?

Hey bailarm,

Thanks for posting your additional information.

John
Attachment:
5107 03 The_Times_Herald Port_Huron_MI.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 pm • #  

Hey fishkat,

Thanks for the information! I have Plucky's in different sizes and always wondered when they were made. It's earlier than I thought!

:sSig_nicethread:

Randy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:50 am • #  

Hello John,

As always the documents you offer are very interesting and allow me to see what I can not find in France, and despite my absence in the responses to this post, I watch it regularly.

Randy,
Plucky was for the first time in advertising in France in 1949.

Attached a photo of the ABDE number 157 dated August 1949. I made a copy paste of the header and footer of the cover on the page of the advertisement.

Best regards,

Attachment:
Abrassart 1949 08.My jpg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:50 pm • #  

Hey Randy,

Maybe you’d like to start a thread in the history section on the Plucky lure (using photos of your lures)? Probably some other Mates are Plucky collectors too. (I’ve had a few in my hands here and there, but passed them on.)

I few years ago when I was looking in 1950s fishing magazines for ABU ad’s by Garcia, I did notice that Garcia advertised the Plucky in its own right (or maybe with Platyl added). I just checked my US newspaper archive subscription to discover that in 1952 Garcia had several different whimsical cartoon ad’s for the Plucky. I would add these plus some pertinent Garcia catalog pages to your post, should you decide to do one.

Hey Laroupane,

Thanks for your contribution and comment.

John

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply