Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:08 pm • #  

Hey Mates,

Recently the question of earliest date for a Garcia Bonnyl sticker on reel spools has arisen.

The earliest I could find “Bonnyl” in my complete set of Garcia Annuals/Magazines is 1966 (see scan below). As always, if I have missed something, please advise.

Barely visible on that page is print on the spool: “made in West Germany”. This implicates, but does not absolutely demonstrate, Garcia’s import source, Plate (Germany). Plate was the source for Platyl line (as trademarked by Garcia in the US; Platil in the rest of the world). I have sent a question about this to a German collector of Plate, that I know.

Garcia typically carried a variety of line options. In the early 1970s, included were Bonnyl and Royal Bonnyl (not to be confused with Royal Bonnyl II, which came later). Below is a March, 1970 Field & Stream ad explaining Garcia’s 4 different monofilaments.

John
Attachment:
6600 Garcia Annual 154 Bonnyl.jpg

Attachment:
7030 F&S 098 monofilaments.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:13 pm • #  

Bonnyl was a registered trademark. Not directly by Garcia, but rather by The Kingfisher-Bristol Company, a division of The Garcia Corporation (see registration document and specimens below).

March 13, 1961: first use in commerce
June 5, 1961: filed
October 16, 1962: registered

Yet, as mentioned in the thread above, I did not spot Bonnyl in Garcia Annuals until 1966. Perhaps it was in the Garcia Catalogs (for the trade) earlier?
Attachment:
US0121395 Bonnyl.jpg

Attachment:
US0121395 Bonnyl specimen 1.jpg

Attachment:
US0121395 Bonnyl specimen 2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:15 pm • #  

The next version was Royal Bonnyl II (see registration document and specimen below). A notable difference here is that this line was “made in U.S.A.”

September, 1969: first use in commerce
September 27, 1976: filed
January 31, 1978: registered
Attachment:
US0101173 Royal Bonnyl II.jpg

Attachment:
US0101173 Royal Bonnyl II specimen.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:08 pm • #  

One update.

I see Chris (cshannon772) has Garcia Royal Bonnyl spools posted that were "made in U.S.A.":
All things Garcia/Mitchell/CAP page 5

I have not been able to determine when production switched from Germany to the US.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:04 pm • #  

Hey Mates!

Early "Ande" line was made in West Germany also...

Now I'm wondering if Ande, Platyl and Bonyl are the same lines but branded differently???

Just like generic gasoline...

Reely

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:10 pm • #  

Hey Reely,

Yes, there are at times examples of products branded differently by competing distributors that are actually the same underlying product provided by a single OEM (original equipment manufacturer).

However, that is not the case here. Observe the F&S ad on Garcia's 4 different monofilaments (above in the thread). Platyl and the 2 Bonnyl's all have different characteristics.

Platil was/is both a manufacturer and distributor of fishing line. If Platil is supplying line to Ande, that appears to be a well kept secret.

John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:32 pm • #  

Hey John!

I was thinking that the Ande manufacturer was the supplier here.

I have seen a lot of claims about various things and I am sure they can be applied to other competitive products too.

I tried to start a line thread that went nowhere, I'm glad we have one now...

Regards,
Reely

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:21 pm • #  

Hey Reely,

You had asked an interesting question about the earliest availability of monofilament for a spinning reel. So ...

Mates,

Here is some history I've found.

John

https://sufix.fishing/monofilament-fishing-lines
Quote:
THE FIRST NYLON FISHING LINE

Between 1937 and 1938 DuPont announced that their company had invented Polyamide fibres and the German company IG Farben (today Bayer) did the same. This new invention was the first synthetic fibre. In 1939, DuPont began marketing this material and used the "nylon" name for the monofilament fishing lines; however, braided polyester (DuPont called it Dacron) lines remained the most used and popular fishing line for the next two decades, as early monofilament line was very stiff or "wiry", and difficult to handle and cast. Early monofilament did, however have good knot strength and very low visibility to the fish, creating a small loyal following among fishermen. In the 1950s a number of companies started to produce their own nylon fishing lines, and we began to see the beginnings of the monofilament revolution that spawned the myriad of fishing lines that are available worldwide today.

http://www.platil.de/uk/historie_uk_01.php
Quote:
In 1949, Dr Karl Plate registered the first monofilament plastic-fibre fishing line under the trade name PLATIL

I was not able to find much useful information about Rhodia Monofilament.
Google Books A History of the International Chemical Industry by Fred Aftalion (2001)
Quote:
Rhodiaceta had sold its acetate filament process to DuPont, obtaining in return a Nylon license in the Spring of 1938. The development of this new fiber was to play a significant part in the group’s postwar activities.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:47 pm • #  

Hey John!

Thank you for your reply...

My browser did not allow access to one of the sites due to security reasons caused by a protocol difference...

It seems to me then, that the earliest CAP reels, 1937 (Yes?) did not have mono available for their use for a few (?) years and had to use another type line...

This was the reason that I tried to start a line thread before...

What did they use and was the early design made with that line in mind, and were there modifications later to accommodate mono???

I had read that the early reels had a bail that changed and I am thinking that it was changed to use mono...Yes?

They did not have a bail roller and another line might have been more abrasive then mono...

Sorry for being so inquisitive/pesty, but I am curious...

Thank you,
Reely

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:06 am • #  

Hey Reely,

I perused some A.B.D.E. issues from 1935-37 at the BnF. There were ad’s with text such as “absolutely invisible in water” and “transparent like crystal” – so monofilament. However, the illustrations on those ad’s do not show a rod with spinning reel, but rather a pole (without reel). I did see some current online auction ad’s for those vintage lines in coils with package (like leader material). The nylon looked thick/stiff. So, I cannot say that monofilament for spinning reels was available in France at that time. Perhaps someone could help us with this question.

In regard to my hyperlinks in the thread above, thanks for the notice. I clicked them after posting and just now. All fine. The links are to major websites with high traffic. I’m not sure what your browser issue was.

In regard to your CAP questions and as you say you are curious, may I suggest you do some reading of related MRM Forum posts, possibly books and other sites?

Warm regards,

John

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:00 pm • #  

Hey Mates,

In regard to the question of who made Bonnyl, a German collector/blogger pointed out to me that the original Plate factory was located in the city of Bonn. Since Platil/Platyl was named after Dr. Plate, it’s certainly possible Bonnyl was named after Bonn – and made by Plate. Or, can we say likely?

I also found some images of Albatros Bonnyl Supreme packaged by Albatros (Dutch distributor), but no further information. The line is golden colored and as such I do not think that version was exported to the US. The symbol ® is present, but I have not been able to find who by or where the trademark was registered.

John
Attachment:
Bonnyl Supreme Albatros.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:53 pm • #  

Okay, I just found that Albatros Hengelsport Int. B.V. first had the Bonnyl trademark registered on 1-May-1995 - so, that does not help with original manufacture.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply