Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:59 am • #  

An exciting recent find is a boxed 1st. version reel.

I attach photos of it's condition when I was offered it. The tray was in very good condition, but the lid was a wreck, festooned with tape and badly faded. The lid has been restored.

The box is slightly larger than that used for later reels, and I show 2 boxes together. It has been suggested that the box was re-sized to fit into shipping crates; which is plausible.

The tray is covered with a textured paper, tougher than that used on later boxes; "Mitchell" is oriented slightly differently and the base has a gold edging. The lid is covered with the same textured paper under the blue paper. The blue paper has a watermark which reads "J. Barjon Moirans // sero", or something similar. There is a Rue Barjon in Moirans, France; so this may be part of an address.

The reel is in excellent shape and is, I think, an early one. It came with a spare spool in a container with a push-on lid. The container is un-finished internally.

JF.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:02 am • #  

Additional pictures.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:03 am • #  

Photos.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:40 pm • #  

Very nice reel!

G. Glen Simpson,
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:11 pm • #  

Hi Jeremy , Very nice find this late in the game. I don't think there can be many more like that floating around. Regards , John in Pa. U.S.A. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:02 pm • #  

JF,

Extraordinary!

Yet another very early item. How do you do it?

John

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:27 am • #  

Dear Glen and John in PA,

I'm glad you like the boxed reel.

Dear Etranger (John),

I have concentrated my search in France, where I believe most of the first reels are.

I now have a number of good friends in the French collecting community and they have been only too happy to help with my research. As I have mentioned before, French collectors are not overly interested in Mitchell reels, which is perhaps unsurprising when one considers the huge variety and range of French reels. However, they all have a handful of Mitchells in their collections and they know which ones to own.

As John in PA correctly points out, there are probably not too many surprises left, but who knows. This is the only 1st. version box that I know of, but there must be others languishing in lofts and sheds.

Another mystery item is the 2nd. version reel in a brown box. I think the 2 or 3 that have turned up have been in the US.

An interesting topic for discussion another time might be the relative rarity and collectability of different Mitchell reels. With the huge number of reels still available, it is sometimes difficult to seperate the wheat from the chaff. Of course, much collecting is user or nostalgia based; which is how I started. I still get a glow when I see an early 1970's reel in a clamshell box.

Thanks for your interest.

JF.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:43 pm • #  

Jeremy, thanks for posting and congratulations on a wonderful addition to your collection...

For some reason I thought you already had a first version box...

I recall seeing the larger boxes...do you have other large boxes? Were they large for second versions too?

Sandman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:19 am • #  

Dear Sandman,

No, this is the only proper first version box I own or know of. I had shared it with other collectors before posting here, so perhaps you already knew of it.

Judging by it's rarity, this box was only used for a short period before the form of construction and size were changed.

Certainly, I have seen quite a few boxed 2nd. versions and they are all in the standard, smaller size box. I also have a late 1st. version with primed body which came with the smaller box.

There is another type of box which some have suggested is the first Mitchell box, but I think Mike DiMattio correctly identified this as an after sales service box : reels sent to Mitchell for service or repair were returned in such a box.

Thanks for your interest.

JF.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:19 pm • #  

Thank you for the clarity Jeremy...I believe that is where I saw the larger box...

I like your idea about rarity and collectibility as a topic...while highly subjective and wide ranging, would be interesting to hear the thoughts...

Sandman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:02 pm • #  

Dear Sandman,

I have only been collecting Mitchells for 6 years, so I still have much to learn about all of the various models.

I will start the ball rolling tomorrow with a topic on rarity and collectability, although my experience is limited to the 300 and derivatives, and a little about round-bodies. Hopefully, if enough members contribute, it could be very worthwhile.

Kindest regards,

JF.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply