Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:14 pm • #  

Mates,

I came across an interesting Otomatic ad from 29-May-1961 by Huron Fishing Tackle Inc. (Quebec, Canada) in a Montreal newspaper (see below). The ad indicates they are the exclusive distributor for Canada of the Otomatic (and possibly Mitchell).
Attachment:
Le Devoir 29Mai1961 Otomatic.png

I searched the MRM Forum to find that the word “huron” is not contained in any post. So, I thought I would post on this topic to see if there is any additional interest/knowledge.

Huron Fishing Tackle had registered “Mitchell” as a Canadian trademark on 30-May-1952 (see below). They cited May-1949 as the first date of use in Canada – presumably they would have needed to provide documentation for that claim, as is the case in the US.
Attachment:
Canada UCA42621 Mitchell 1.jpg

Attachment:
Canada UCA42621 Mitchell 2.jpg

dolphin3111 has posted this:
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=5449&sid=885e50d6fa861d295f3a176c34a50474
Quote:
In Canada, from an official Canadian government Federal Corporation Registry, I found this information.

Garcia Outdoor Sports, Ltd existed from May 29, 1967 to May 20, 1980, at which time the name was changed to Mitchell Sports Canada Holdings, Inc.

Mitchell Sports Canada Holdings, Inc. existed from May 20, 1980 until September 17, 1984 (coincidentally the same year ABU took over Garcia USA and also the year Browning Arms was dropped as the Mitchell distributor in the USA).

Mitchell Sports Canada Holdings, Inc. then, in 1984, became a weird holding company called “134987 Canada Limited”, which was dissolved totally 1997.

30-May-1967 was when the “Mitchell” Canadian trademark was renewed and just when Garcia Outdoor Sports started. So, was Huron Fishing Tackle the Mitchell distributor for Canada prior and perhaps the first distributor for Canada?

John

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:53 pm • #  

Mates,

I did find another Huron Fishing Tackle ad in the newspaper Le Devoir (Montreal). This time from 1-May-1967. This ad clearly states Huron Fishing Tackle is the exclusive Canadian distributor for Mitchell. Interestingly, the 320 in the ad appears to be Garcia badged.

John
Attachment:
Le Devoir 1May1967 Huron.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:39 pm • #  

Thanks for the info John. Makes a lot of sense. No one has ever tried to my knowledge tie in the Canadian connection to Mitchell. If you look at your last post with the fish the 2 fisherman are holding, the fish appears to be a Tarpon.. Not native to up there. HaHa......
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :tup :sHa_okay:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:21 am • #  

Excellent investigative work, John.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:45 pm • #  

Thank you for the information, John.
maxbet viva9988 htv999

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:42 pm • #  

Hey Mates,

I have found some more newspaper ad's from Canada - interesting and potentially helpful.

First, a detailed ad about the Mitchell Spinning Reel from a retailer in Montreal, 22-Dec-1950 (after May-1949, the first date of use of "Mitchell" in Canada). Presumably the retailer received product from Huron Fishing Tackle.
Attachment:
5012 22 The_Gazette Montreal_CA.jpg

Next, a distributor ad (sole Canadian representative and distributor of "Mitchell House") from 29-Mar-1965.
Attachment:
6503 29 The_Gazette Montreal_CA.jpg

Then a distributor ad from 14-May-1970. It states that Conolon rods are now assembled in Canada and are called Garcia Huron Rods. The relationship between Huron Fishing Tackle and Garcia Outdoor Sports, Ltd is unclear from this ad.
Attachment:
7005 14 The_Ottawa_Journal Ottawa_CA.jpg

John

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply