Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:43 pm • #  

Okay, we know that Pons & Carpano filed for patents on the Mitchell Spinning Reel (later to be designated as the Mitchell 300) in France on 28-Jul-1948 and in Great Britain on 3-Aug-1948, but not the US. However, it should be noted that Otto S. Gumprich/Charles Garcia filed for a registered US trademark on 28-Aug-1951 for “the Mitchell Spinning Reel” (see below). Later, Garcia trademarked the Mitchell name alone in cursive style and then block text (see below).

According to blogs by several different trademark lawyers I've read, the date most relevant to US trademark protection is the date of first use in commerce (this takes precedence over the application date). Use in commerce is defined as the mark being associated with a product that is sold or transported. Advertising, for example in a magazine, does not count towards this. Documentation of first use in commerce must be provided to USPTO (US Patent and Trademark Office) by the applicant, in order to make that claim.

To summarize, first use in commerce documented to USPTO of the mark, “the Mitchell Spinning Reel”, was Nov-1948. This, however, does not mean the Mitchell Reel was not sold earlier in the US (which is another topic), as I believe it was.

Attachment:
US0562465 trademark Mitchell_Spinning.png

Attachment:
US0629434 trademark Mitchell.png

Attachment:
US0789952 trademark Mitchell.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:32 am • #  

Another great post, John. Thank-you. I see your first example shows the Park Place address in 1952. Further clarification then that Garcia moved to Fourth Avenue around 1953 when I think full bail arms were first mass-produced for the USA.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:44 am • #  

Hey Bailarm and Mates,

In regard to address, it looks like Charles Garcia was still at 53 Park Place up to September, 1953 at least. Observe the backcover from the Sep-1953 issue of "the Fisherman" monthly magazine published by Fisherman Press (not Garcia).

I suppose one could entertain the topic of lead time required for magazine publication back then, however, that would be offset by Garcia's knowledge of their lease and relocation dates. They certainly would prefer consumer requests not coming to their old address.

John

Attachment:
5309 TF 098 53 Park Pl.jpg

Attachment:
5309 TF 000i cover.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply