Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:25 am • #  

The press release from October 1971 is important because it gives details concerning the beginning and later development of Mitchell.
For those not conversant with the French language I have made a rudimentary translation :

"Mitchell released on June 22nd. the twenty millionth reel.
This event, which confirms the vitality of one of the four major French companies that make up the industrial group Carpano and Pons, was the opportunity for its' leaders to play host at Cluse en Haute-Savoie to the representatives of the brand in the 83 countries to which it is exported.
Special aircraft from throughout Europe and also the 2 Americas had brought several hours earlier into the terminal of Geneve-Cointrin the 83 importers of Mitchell worldwide who came to celebrate the 20 millionth reel.
A reception was reserved for them during which Paul Tairraz ....................................................................
....... warmly thanked his guests for their remarkable efforts in foreign markets which have for several years won export awards.
The exports of the company have not stopped increasing and last year its' turnover was 65 million Francs of which 85% was realized in foreign sales.
By itself, the United States absorbs 65% of Mitchell exports. Each week 25 tons of reels leave Cluses destined for American fishermen.
Mitchell produces in its' four plants at Haute-Savoie high precision fishing items - rods, lures and ten thousand reels per day.
With this record expansion Mitchell has been able to achieve the full integration of its' production starting from the raw materials : each element in the manufacture of an article whether metal or plastic is designed and factory assembled in a production chain by Mitchell in its' own facilities.
Mitchell has established a world-wide after sales service and a network of 5,600 retailers in France.
A special series reel has been made for the best Mitchell supporters around the world.
At the end of the reception arranged on the occasion of 20 million reels, this special series Mitchell was presented in grateful appreciation to the best supporters of Mitchell worldwide :
Madame Francois Anthone who assembled the first reels to come out of the Mitchell equipment in March 1947.
Other recipients are then listed. "

The fact that they were able to single out one employee (Madame Anthone) for one of the special commemorative reels suggests that reel making was a very small enterprise in the beginning. We know from the production lists of M. Emile Pugeot that the first recorded annual output was only 4600 reels.

To my mind, this press release is quite clear and unambiguous and, as such, is an important part of the historical record of Mitchell.

Rolands.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:29 am • #  

Hello Rolands,
If you search on this site you will see that this text has already been published at least twice on this site, the first time by myself (maybe with my old avatar) many years ago, taken over by Wallace so It is not a novelty as to the year 1947
Best reghaeds,
Christian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:32 pm • #  

Dear Christian,
I am aware that the press release has been shown before by yourself, but I have not seen a translation into English : perhaps I have missed it.
I have at times looked back through the Forum, but as a relatively new member it is impossible to know everything that has been written in the past.
I suppose it is inevitable that some topics will be re-discussed as new members join.
My apologies to you.

Kind regards,

Rolands.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:23 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

After Christian posted above that this topic had been posted previously, I did search because I was interested in learning what was said back then.

I tried a variety of keywords/combinations. Around the 5th or 6th search attempt, I came across 2 of Wallace's threads (1 about a meeting and 1 about rare reels). Neither mentioned Madame Francois Anthone in 1947. To me, that's a fascinating piece.

So, it's not always easy and I think we are all doing our best.

Warm regards,

John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:33 pm • #  

Hello John,
One of the link to one of my post

Sorry to contradict you, but that's exactly the document I put on the blog (framed in red, etc.)
Maybe the dream and I do not know what I say, at 71 years it must be normal
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=22&p=19489&sid=f04e06dfb009ef5559bff8677383bac7#p19489

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:59 pm • #  

Hey Christian,

Merci beaucoup!

Thank you for that link. That's a highly informative/fascinating thread - with some differing viewpoints. I am glad to learn about that MRM history. I see French and UK patent links were provided there, so my more recent posts on patents were unnecessary.

What can I tell you? Your post did not come up in my searches. From what I see, had I searched for "October 1971", it would have come up in the results.

John

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply