Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:22 am • #  

Hello,

Attached are three photos of the yearbook of 1950.
This yearbook gives the list of all French manufacturers of fishing equipment: reels, rods, lines, bait, bait, floats, lures,etc .....
Note that Mitchell is not listed as manufacturer, only CAP, Carpano and Pons, M.O.P.
It can also be seen that the Fraser, French sea reel, had already full bail in 1950.

Also included in this book are the hunting and fishing magazines of foreign countries. Join a picture of the two pages that group together the United States, Great Britain and Holland. Maybe useful to some people from this site.

Christian
Attachment:
Annuaire 3.jpg

Attachment:
Annuaire 1.jpg

Attachment:
Annuaire 2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:24 am • #  

Attachment:
Annuaire 4.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:02 am • #  

More excellent reference material, Christian. Merci.
If my eyes don't deceive me, the Mitchell reel shown is a MK.2 with round AR knob. Presumably we can deduce that this was the current model in 1950?

Rolands.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:13 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Christian,

Found this one ,it was published in a book written in 1952
Attachment:
DSCN1904.JPG

regards

Dries :sAni_fish:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:44 am • #  

Hello Rolands,

I do not know if that was the current model in 1950.
On the 1952 document of Dries it is a third model.

Hello Dries,
Thank you for this document I have the same type of book as that of 1950 but for 1952 and without any photograph of Mitchell which is not quoted in the manufacturers
I'll go to your country at the end of October, I think you know why.
Dominique will be with me, as we did in 2003 for Endhoven, tourism on the return probably via Luxembourg.

Best regards,
Christian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:24 pm • #  
Administrator

Tinca wrote:
More excellent reference material, Christian. Merci.
If my eyes don't deceive me, the Mitchell reel shown is a MK.2 with round AR knob. Presumably we can deduce that this was the current model in 1950? Rolands.

NO!

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:15 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

Rolands, I have to agree with Christian and Wallace. Here is a 1954 advertisement from a sporting goods company in New York. Please note the 2nd Version (Mk.2) Mitchell, the mythical "2 screw" Salt Water Mitchell and the misplaced A/R lever on the CAP. Of additional note they did offer the half bail or full bail Mitchell.
Attachment:
1954 Mitchell Advertisement.jpg

Much advertising in the early years was using primarily artist renditions of the fishing reel (among other items) and many of these "pictures" were used time and again. Even Garcia did it in their catalogs as I have many examples.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:37 am • #  

Dear Chris,
I don't think we will ever know precisely when one version started or stopped; especially as Mitchell themselves would not have recognised the version system that collectors now use.
Also, there was clearly an overlap of reels : as you have highlighted, the claw and hoop-bails were offered simultaneously for a while.
There is plenty of evidence to suggest that the MK.2 reel was produced long after 1946. I do not feel that sellers would have used in 1954 a picture of a reel that hadn't been produced for 8 years.
I agree with Christian that a consensus on the birth of Mitchell and the early years will never be reached.

Rolands.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply