Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 1,000,000 Mitchells
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:51 pm • #  

Hello Mates, (I'm on a roll tonight! :banana )

Many of us have read Wallace's "The Mitchell Classic 300 Spinning Reel" and any that have read it would have to admit that it's the defining work on the Mitchell 300 and much of Mitchell history. In his book Wallace describes the events and shows photos of the 1,000,000 Mitchell reel for 1957.

I want to state right now: I am NOT a Mitchell expert and am in no way refuting Wallace's work but I recently purchased this Mitchell Owner's Manual for a Balzer Mitchell which commemorates the 1,000,000 Mitchell.

Attachment:
Balzer 1,000,000.jpg

Attachment:
Balzer 1,000,000 1.jpg

Attachment:
Balzer 1,000,000 2.jpg

I purchased this manual from Germany and unfortunately there are no dates/copyright in it. Additionally, I don't speak/read/write a lick of German so I admit that I'm at a disadvantage here :sSa_sadeyes: . But! The CAP reel depicted in this manual is definitely a 1953/1954. I also agree that it's an artist's depiction of a CAP but again, this is a three year differential (1954-1957).

So what if: The 1,000,000 Mitchell was actually made in 1954 without much, if any fanfare. There were numerous manufacturers throughout Europe making spinning reels so competition was significant. Mitchell's export business was just blossoming as well as them ramping up the manufacturing process of Mitchell reels - they were a little more than busy.

So what if: The 1,000,000 commemorative reels and the celebration was for the 1,000,000 Mitchell imported to North America. It would seem to me that if the 1,000,000 reel was that important to Carpano & Pons, there would have been more commemoration than three very special reels - at least two of which went to the key exporter/importer. Or a specially marked Owners Manual tucked into the box of a new Mitchell reel.

I've had this little Manual for several months and been giving it much thought - I could be completely wrong but it's just another one of those Mitchell things that make me :sCo_hmmthink:

Would be interested in others thoughts, opinions and clarification.

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 1,000,000 Mitchells
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:17 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Chris,

I don,t think that the 1.000.000 Mitchell was made before 1957
the year 1957 is painted on the reel .
Mitchell often used pictures and drawings from earlier years .
Just my opinion.

regards Dries :sAni_fish:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:02 pm • #  

Nice pic of a early manuel. Thanks Chris. My first post/reply in a very long time. Alot going on in my life but I still consider myself a Mitchell Mate. Take care everyone. Dennis2149

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:06 pm • #  

Hello Dennis2149,

Good to see you back in the forums....Welcome back :banana

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:20 am • #  

The dating guide on this site suggests that serial number 1,500,000 had been passed by 1957 : some of these reels were 330's and 350's. If one adds to this 300,000 "A - C" reels and an estimate of pre-serial no. production, then considerably more than 1 million reels had been produced by 1957.
In the absence of documentation, what the "1957" reels celebrated is a matter of conjecture. My opinion is that they probably recognised the export of 1 million reels to the USA.
Another possible, but much less likely, explanation using the MRM dating guide is that they celebrated 1 million Mitchell 300's i.e MK. 5's.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:45 pm • #  

Thank you Dries and Ro for what I consider your expert opinions. Rolands, especially for your detailed e-mail translating the manual and outlining how this may have come about. It's always interesting when you recieve a new piece of Mitchell history (to you) - Thanks Mates. :sSig_youtheman:

Best Regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply