Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Spool container
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:53 pm • #  

I have a mitchell 300 series spool container that is clear. How rare is it
? I have many black but only one clear. Thank you. P.S. My dad has collected Mitchell 300 for 20 years has well over 100 but his collecton is one that is used still today.

Post subject: Re: Spool container
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:15 pm • #  

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the Group :sSig_welcome4:

I believe that the clear bottom spool container is quite common and started being used in the late 1970s, replacing the all black container. They also had all grey spool containers during the late 1970s and 80s which would hold the 300 - 400 series spools. The only 300/400 series spool containers that are rare are the early black aluminum and especially the ones with the press fit top. Also the "Ultra Small Capacity" spool container is a hard find.

Attachment:
Press Fit Aluminum.jpg

Attachment:
Screw Top Aluminum.jpg
Attachment:
Ultra Small.jpg

A few examples.

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:37 am • #  
Global Moderator

Chris,
Thanks for posting the pic of the "Ultra Small" spool container. I think that's the first one I've seen. :sHa_rollingsmilie:
Do you have the spool that goes in it too? Pic?

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:55 pm • #  

Hi Ted,

I have a few of the Mitchell Ultra Small Capacity spools but as I think we both agree, you don't find very many of them. I believe they were sold primarily in Europe and available as an accessory for the earlier Mitchell Match reels. My Garcia Mitchell Match (1971) and Garcia Mitchell Match L (1973) reels both came with the ultra small spool attached and a Small spool in the canister.

Attachment:
Ultra Small Capacity Spools.jpg

Possibly one of our European Mates (Dries/Christian/James) can provide some additional information on these unique spools - Maybe they aren't all that unique but only to us here in the US :sHa_biggrin:

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:02 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Chris,
Very Nice!!! :sFun_shocked:
Your explanation of their scarcity sounds good to me. I believe I read something that Wallace had written about these spools, but never saw one before. It's a treat for a cold Winter night.
Maybe, one of our friends from abroad can ship a dozen of them stateside for the rest of us. "Joke"

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:48 pm • #  

Chris, thanks for posting the spool container pics. A few years ago I went on an ebay mission and was able to obtain a number of the metal screw top metal cans and just a couple slide on top cans. I also enjoy the very early Mitchell spools that go into them. Best regards mates, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:06 am • #  

Hello

That know that this subject is not huge.

The spool Ultra Light is the catalog CAP in 1954. It is specified the price of three different spools with or without container
1958 the schematic shows the spool models with only a container that would be common to the three a priori (no certainty).What is certain is that there were three different brake (see picture)

The French container does not have the same indication as that Chris shows

In conclusion, I agree with the opinion of Chris and Ted, this container is very hard to find, who personally I have only two of them

Best regards,

Christian
Attachment:
trois bobines.jpg

Attachment:
UL.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:34 pm • #  

Thanks Dennis2149,

I too like the metal containers but you're also right that the spools that came in them are special as well. IMO much smoother and better built than the later plastic base spools but probably not cost effective in later years.

Well Ted, it appears that these containers and spools were not all that common in Europe either based on Christian's post - there goes that theory :sFun_bricks: :sHa_lol: .

Thank you Christian for another amazing post. I never thought to look under the brake spring to see what is engraved. Most of mine that I can recall are simply common. I will certainly be looking in the future....time to start taking some spools apart. Every time you contribute to the Group, I learn something new - Merci beaucoup!

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:58 pm • #  

Interesting topic, I do not have any of the metal containers, something new to watch out for, But going through my spools I did find several that have metal bases. I was wondering when these were from. Did they come from the metal cases era and change to plastic with the cases switching to plastic?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:48 am • #  

Hello

In my opinion this is 1955/1956 as metal bases were replaced with plastic bases.

Even the study of Mitchell spools is complicated, just for example, three images of the first spools

Best regards,
Christian
Attachment:
1 BOBINE.jpg

Attachment:
2 BOBINE.jpg

Attachment:
3 BOBINE.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:52 am • #  
Global Moderator

Christian,
As always, we have greatly benefited from your input.
It's a nice snowy day to go through all my metal spools.
Many Thanks,
Ted Lanham

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply