Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: have a garcia reel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:52 am • #  

I have a Garcia 3000 reel, and need help on dating it and then getting a question answered. I have looked at this site and am not able to match the serials but i'm wondering if I have a knock off. this one was made in japan. I will try and post pictures and i'm looking to see if I can find the trip lever spring for lack of a better term.
these are two pictures 1) a profile and then the 2) front where I have the spring off to the right of the face. i'm trying to see if the spring is bad(out of shape) or...
as when I took the spool off this last time the spring went flying. I was able to find It but now I can't get it to stay..

if i'm not in the correct spot please let me know, and direct me-if you can/know-to where I need to go.

thanks much.
Stephen Johnson

Post subject: Re: have a garcia reel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:24 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Stephen,
The reel you have was made after Garcia went bankrupt and no longer was associated with Mitchell.
Garcia was just an importer and didn't actually produce reels.
I don't know the details, but the Garcia brand was owned by different companies and sold products that many times looked similar to the old Garcia Mitchell reels, but weren't made as well as the originals.
I would suspect that yours was made in the late 80's or 90's, but I could be off.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:32 am • #  

thanks very much for the quick response and the information. were you able to see the pictures? I was not able to see/show that they were uploaded. if you could not, do you want them to put in the knock offs or post- bankrupt section?

ps
this is a great site, after going through it, I've started looking for these reels. I've got a couple of bids on ebay now, and will start looking for them at the sales (garage, estate).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:13 am • #  
Global Moderator

redfox707,
I didn't see your pictures, and I don't know that your reel would go in the knock-off section since it's just a later model.

Right now seems to be a good time to be buying some of the Mitchell reels since the prices are down from what they were a couple of months back.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:48 pm • #  
Administrator

Hello Mates!

Ted is correct but I thought it might be good to add; after the Garcia Corporation (USA) was no longer involved in selling Mitchell products, they made several of their own brands based on Mitchell reel design. I can't remember the model numbers of each but I do know the Garcia 3000 was designed after the Mitchell 300.

I would classify this reel as a "copy" that were made by/for Garcia Tackle (USA) 1980-1981. Hope this helps...

Regards,
Wallace :sFun_oldguy:

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply