Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Spinning Kits
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:35 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello to all,

Thought I would show a little fishing find I had aquired recently. I feel very fortunate to have in my collection. It is complete and never been used.

I would like to know whether there was any advertising brochures during time of manufacturing.

Regards, Scott

Post subject: Re: Spinning Kits
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:49 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Scott,
Thanks for sharing. I don't think I've seen a kit like that before.
Great find!!

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:07 pm • #  

Thanks for sharing Scott. Beautiful set - Congratulations. I have the Mitchell Annuals from 1958 - 1978 so if you could give me a time frame of your kit, I may be able to find something in them for you.

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:03 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Chris and Ted,

The kit is 75 pieces of everything you could imagine Mitchell might pack to make a complete fishing experience. A pack rod, telescoping net, lures, leaders, lead weights, line, ephemera, lube, snap swivels, and a 300 reel that dates to 1961 from the serial number. I have also have dated the lures to the same time period of manufacturing. The whole kit is completely in french so it is obviously european issue. No Garcia listing anywhere.

Thanks for all the nice comments, and I really appreciate any help given.

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:26 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Scott,

Nice find !

regards, Dries

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:36 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Dries,

Thanks! I have sent you a PM. Hope you are well and catching fish!

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:10 am • #  

Hi Scott,
Something about your kit rang a bell. I searched through my literature and found a 4.5" x 8" fold out brochure with your kit on the back panel. The brochure is all in French to indicate at least a French distribution. The front panel has MITCHELL in script with the trident symbol and other writing. A color photograph of water and rocks like a stream. One side lists 8 reels. The MITCHELL 304, 330 "otomatic", 314 "planamatic", 300 "Le Roi", 358 prince "rapid", 306 "intermediate", 316 "dauphin" and 302 "mer-saumon". The 316 pictured has the first version handle which would date it around 1962. the reels pictured are in color mounted on a pole showing only the mounting rings and some of the rod. You can see MITCHELL on some of the rings. The other side lists Mitchell poles with the rubber butts that hold the upper section for storage. A CONOLON fish symbol, Mitchell Companion symbol (like Garcia over here in USA), folding net, watch, lures and Mitchell fishing line. The MITCHELL READY 75 kit and another kit. The 304 with pole, line, lures and booklet and a cardboard display. Scott,I can color copy the fold out if you want. Will take a few days as my copier needs cleaning. Or take pictures and e-mail them to you. The only other time I have seen the kit was in Daytona at the NFLCC and Mitchell gathering in 2011. A fellow Collector Don L had one on display. A beautiful kit for sure. Great find!!!!!!!!
Kim

BTW!!!!!! The case in my brochure is BROWN in color different from yours. I believe Don's was the same color as yours. This would indicate several years of manufacture. Just my thoughts.

Also can anyone tell me what "Le Roi" means in French. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:22 pm • #  

Hi Scott,
After rereading your comments I noticed you stated pack-rod in your kit. More than 2 sections??? The kit pictured in my brochure has a 2-piece rod. Maybe the color of the case indicates pack rod or 2-piece ?????????
Kim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:26 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Kim,

1st it is Don's kit. He broke up his large tackle collection and sold out to a friend of mine, included was Don's Mitchell collection. I knew about the kit from the 2011 Florida Mitchell gathering. I feel very lucky to have it. The rod is 3 sections. I may have the same fold-out you a referencing, it was in the kit. I was hoping to find a catalog from France advertising it for sale and to help date it. The reel serial # places it made in 1961. I have received some nice information from and help from Christian and Dries. I will be posting some more photo's and will do a write-up on the kit in a week or so. I do appreciate your help also, Thank you!

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:13 am • #  

I am a new member just need help Ihave a reel (MITCHELL GFW5000) I open it to oiled but I can,t clouse it agine send me any photo or vidio please many thanks.

new ccna new ccna
sure sure
testking url testking url
leather bomber jacket men leather bomber jacket men

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:29 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Duaa,

Welcome to this forum. I have done a google search on your reel. I find your reel listed as a AIHUA GFX 5000. I could not find any reference to Mitchell, am I missing something? Also your reel is a big game saltwater conventional reel, which we really do not discuss very often here. We do sometime discuss the Garcia Mitchell 600 series reels, but trying to reassemble your reel might be a stretch. I have worked on conventional reels considerably in the past and usually it is the A/R lever that is not in the correct position that prohibits a conventional reel fitting back together. Some other things to try would be to slightly rotate the handle as you fit it back together allowing the gears to seat correctly. I am working blind here, you might just have to take your reel to a repair shop to have re-assembled. I hope this helps mate! Good Luck. Cheers :tup

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:43 am • #  

Hello Scott,

I lost your message (with pictures) in which you ask me information about the Kit Ready 75.
I found a booklet Mitchell on Ready 75 it is photography.
Can you send me your personal email so I send you the photo (and the year) you can then share if you wish.
Best regards,
Christian.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:08 am • #  

Hello Scott,

Attached is a scan of a catalog Mitchell 1966

Best regards

Christian

Approximate translation of the description of the kit Ready 75:

1 Mitchell 300 – 1 rod MD 318 – 1 Landing net of fishing DIFFUSION and 72
other items for all freshwater fisheries with material Spinning. Display briefcase fibrin

115 FF in 1966 is € 147 or $ 202 in 2014

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:29 pm • #  

Hello Scott,
Right now I research all information and advertisements on Mitchell in my fishing magazines.

Tonight I'm 1964 and I found a Christmas advertising on the number of December 1964.

Best regards
Christian

Attachment:
READY.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:41 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Christian,

Thank you so very much, nice to see the advertisement confirm the 3 piece rod. I hope this note finds you well mate! I hope to be back more involved here very soon.

Kind Regards, Scott

Post subject: Re : Filature Kits de
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:35 am • #  

Hello Scott and Kim,

With a few years apart and more catalogs will try to bring a precision on the two versions that you quote.
Kim, the catalog you are referring to is the one Mitchell sent to vendors for Father's Day 1964.
Indeed, the case is brown and the rod has only two pieces and plastic handle.
On the 1965 catalog, the picture of Kit 75 shows a rod with cork handle and three pieces like Scott's. On this catalog it is stated "For the 1965 season, the 3-piece rod is provided with a cork handle without extra charge"
The picture is black and white but I think the case has become green like Scott's.

Sunday, I bought a Kit 75 identical to Scott's for the color. Alas, the rod, the reel and the landing net were missing. The booklet "Sachons Pêcher" is orange while the one of 1964 is blue.
That's what I can say with almost 4 years late!

Best regards,
Christian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:40 am • #  

Hello,
Picture of Kit 75 bought Sunday.
I put a reel and a landing net of the good period
Best regards,
Christian

Attachment:
ready 75.JPG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:07 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Laroupane,
I told you that I didn't remember seeing a Ready 75 kit before, but I must have seen Bonanza's kit in order to have posted the reply. :sFun_bricks:
Funny, how time slips away, and memories, also.

Ted Lanham

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply