Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Mitchell ARCA logo's
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:16 pm • #  

I am starting this topic to show the different logo's ARCA used on their Mitchell reels.

I'll start with one of the rarest... The 300 Pro Anniversary ARCA with the ARCA-fish on the rotating head. This (well used) example was sold on Ebay a few years ago, I have seen another one mint with the box in a private collection.
JPC

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Mitchell ARCA logo's
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:19 pm • #  

Next is the first engraved logo, commonly found on models like 300/301/304 on the handle side. For other models like the 308 it can be found on the other side. This example was also sold on Ebay.
JPC

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:25 pm • #  

In the end ARCA did no longer use their logo (other than the Anniversary above !). They did mark the boxes with a small "inspected by ARCA" sticker (this one is on Ebay now). The reel is unmarked (besides a vendor sticker). This week I will place pictures of the stickers ARCA used for some time.
JPC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:42 pm • #  

Here's one sticker version black letters on silver background used on a Mitchell 350 with green spool filler and green handle knob.
This sticker was used after the engraving, this reel in the 300 version can be found in both the engraved version or the sticker version.
Later on I will show some different ARCA stickers, there is also the long yellow-red sticker used on old versions of the 304 Cap.
JPC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:14 pm • #  

Here's a rather rare to find sticker on a 330 Otomatic, this sticker is rare because it is often rubbed off when whet, the sticker is of a paperlike fabric.
JP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:18 pm • #  

And here is the most commonly found sticker, the one the 324.

More to come...

PS : I have used some pictures from Ebay auctions, except of the 350 ARCA that is from my collection, the Ebay pictures where easier for me

JPC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:28 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Jean-Paul,

Thank you very much for the tutorial on the ARCA logo reels. I especially like the 350 version from your collection. I also appreciate the depth of the wordwide exposure that EBAY provides us to use as a resource. Cheers to you mate!

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:57 pm • #  

Arca has been around for a long time, and they still are.
Founded in 1946, started selling Mitchell in the early 1950's (I can only proof since 1954, but is was probably a few years earlier, still to investigate that a little closer).
I know that in the very beginning (from 1946 till early 1950's) they sold the French RU- and RU-MER reels (by the early- or mid- 1950's they stopped selling these to focus on Mitchell).

My dream is to find a Mitchell with this oldest ARCA logo... so far only found on RU-reels...

JPC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:16 pm • #  

I checked my Mitchell ARCA 754 reel in correct labled blue box. No Arca on reel. I compared it to some other Mitchell flyreels too. This one seems a more midnight blue color like the high speeds reels than the other ones I have. Will have to check them all to see what gives. May be due to European release but I have several that are in European boxes and the later fish logo..........
Kim

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:19 am • #  

Just a note to avoid confusion.
All of the above I wrote applies only to the MITCHELL's Arca sold.
ARCA sold many many other spinning reels e.g. :
- ABU (Swedish) : never engraved and usually not stickered
- Nettuno (Italian) : had the ARCA logo moulded in the body
- PENN (USA): no logo applied
- RU (French) : only sold in the early Arca-years, an Arca sticker was applied (rare to find !)
- the spinning reels they sold under their own name (Arca and later on Bifa) symply named ARCA + typename
- DAIWA : the early ones were stickered (the blue 7xx series), b.t.w. ARCA was the first European distributor to sell Daiwa. The started off with one model (the 720, not to confuse with the Daiwa 720 fly-reel !), later on the began selling the other 7xx series, but the rare 720 was only available the first one (or two ?) years.
- Eurofish : Arca and Balzer had a line of reels made in Japan under this name, the ARCA versions had the Arca sticker, the Balzer had the Balzer sticker, there's a bunch of different types, most looking like the Daiwa Silver series (probably made by Seiko).
- etcccccccccccccc
Jean-Paul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:53 am • #  

Trying to narrow the different periods when used engraving and the different stickers.
So far I have (these conclusions are based on my own collection and others):

- thin gold decal, on cup : early 1950's (see picture above, also used on their French RU spinning reels, I believe it was also used on their first Mitchell's)

- yellow sticker with red letters : mid 1950's to max. 1958 (most seen on Cap-models like the 304, but also on the 300/330)

- paperlike "black letters on gold" sticker on cup, year 1958 (I have a 300 with this sticker with serial number 2062590)

- engraved letters, based on the ones I have, s/b used from 1964 to 1971 (serial numbers 5637047 up to D098104)

- small silver sticker (with black letters) on body, 1973 - 1974

So, if you have any ARCA Mitchell (with engraving or one of the stickers), please post serial numbers here, thanks.

JP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:22 am • #  

Hi JP

Very interesting and a great job categorizing the ARCA branding. Below is a list of all of my Mitchell ARCAs:

300 A196340 Engraved
304 2768298 Engraved
314 2266??? Engraved
330 4667225 Engraved
320 750125 Red Fish Sticker

Unfortunately none of mine expand the studies that you have done but do support your engraved research. Very informative - thanks.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:29 am • #  

Thanks, the 330 allows to expand the period of engraving :

- engraved letters used from 1962 to 1971 (serial numbers 4667225 engraved up to D098104)

Thanks again, super !
Jean-Paul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:39 pm • #  

You're right JP,

Sorry I missed that. I am convinced that the 330 ARCA is original as I received it from an established collector and all of the proper indicators are present. Again great information - Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:04 pm • #  

Just wanted to share the latest addition to my collection of ARCA reels
This is a French Ru 201 with the old ARCA label, RU-ARCA warrenty card (showing this same old label) etc
Reels with this label are very hard to find, these labels wear off very easy
I know there are mid 1950's-Mitchell's out there with the ARCA label, I have seen them a few times, just haven't found one for my collection yet...

PS : the above RU to me is the proof of ARCA selling Mitchell and RU during a certain period of time (I wasn't really sure of that untill recent). I know they sold Mitchell as early as 1954 (probably sooner) and this RU is from 1958/1959

Jean-Paul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:22 am • #  

Recently found another 300 ARCA with the thin ARCA label, very hard to find these.
Please note these labels were used before the engraving started !

Before this specific label they used the old-type label (like on the RU they sold, see example above), that old-type label (wich they used from their very beginning in 1949) is extremely hard to find on a Mitchell. The old-type labels do exist on Mitchell reels, a long time ago I have seen 2 examples in a private collection. If you have one, please post a picture !

JP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:27 pm • #  

Hi Jean-Paul,

I just received a Mitchell 308 ARCA (engraved sideplate) and the serial # is 1157069. Hope this adds to your research.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:57 pm • #  

Hopefully I won't be hijacking this thread! So I'll add to the discussion of Arca logos used on Mitchell reels.

Arca logos used on other Mitchell reels, the 306 and 302 are shown. The 306, with "Fish Symbol", serial number 523157, is also a PUM and has the blue sticker on the rotor. The 302, serial number 0936849, shows the Arca logo, both are on the right side of the reel. Note the webbed standard foot on the 302.

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply