Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:55 am • #  

Hi, I was just wondering when and why Mitchell and Abu got taken over by Garcia.

Thanks for helping.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:24 am • #  
Administrator

Hi James, I moved this great question under history. I hope you don't mind.

You asked a very complicated question I'll try to give a short answer to.

Garcia did take over (buy controlling interest) of Mitchell from Carpano et Pons (France) in 1974. In 1977 they sold Mitchell back to Carpano et Pons and went bankrupt in 1978.

Garcia never took over ABU but did refer to these reels as Garcia ABU only because of marketing and of course with the permission of ABU. After Garcia's bankruptcy ABU bought some of Garcia's assets including the Garcia name. In the early eighties Abu became Abu-Garcia that still exists today.

Did this answer your question?

Regards,
Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:07 am • #  

Hi that's really helpful thanks a lot! Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:56 am • #  
Administrator

You are welcome James, I was hoping someone could add a little more to this Image

Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:53 am • #  

Wallace Carney wrote:
You are welcome James, I was hoping someone could add a little more to this Image

Regards,
Wallace
Does anybody know when Abu took over the Garcia name in the UK?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:41 am • #  

Hi jim,

I would love to be able to answer your question my friend but am not up to speed with the ins and outs of what happened to the Mitchell company, to much to understand for me and my ltd brain im affraid.
Im sure someone will know the date though i will have a look in len borgstroms book when i unpack it from our move, it may be in there so i can help with your question.

Regards martin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:35 am • #  

Hi Jim, Sorry I missed your question Image

It appears to have happened at the same time worldwide. I have a sky blue 440A Match in a Browning box sold by Garcia, UK. The Garcia wedge logo was replaced with a very similar looking "Reels" wedge. Maybe you can ask Barry Welham for the exact date?

Best Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:40 am • #  

Hello Wallace and Mates,

Abu did not own the Garcia name in the UK. The owner of the name was Mr Barrie Welham M.D, Garcia-Tackle Limited. Mr Thomas Lenk granted permission for Mr Welham to use the name. To enable Abu to use the name they paid compensation to Mr Welham, but that is another story.!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:14 pm • #  

if garcia is on the side of the reel does this mean that it was made between 1974-1977 as that is the period that garcia owned mitchell??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:17 pm • #  
Administrator

Jimbo wrote:
Abu did not own the Garcia name in the UK. The owner of the name was Mr Barrie Welham M.D, Garcia-Tackle Limited. Mr Thomas Lenk granted permission for Mr Welham to use the name. To enable Abu to use the name they paid compensation to Mr Welham, but that is another story.!!!
As you know I'm nearly finished with an article on Barrie Welham and here's part of what I've learned. Abu owned the Garcia name worldwide beginning in 1981. They wanted a world exclusive on the Garcia name and Barrie sold it to them in at that time. He then needed a name which was not too noticeably different and LEEDA was the choice. It was short and it ended in an A and was outlined by a red box similar to the Garcia red wedge. In 1991 Barrie sold the Leeda Company, along with subsidiary companies such as British Fly Reels and a share in Steades of Sheffield to a venture capitalist company Porter Chadburn. The LEEDA name lives on to this day as a a major U.K. fishing tackle wholesaler.

Hi Daiberry,

There were several Garcia companies that were separate entities including Barrie's company at the time. The Garcia Corporation (USA) was the first distributor allowed to engrave their name "Garcia" back in the late 1950s. These Garcia engraved and plated reels continued to be distributed worldwide for at least one year after their 1978 bankruptcy however; Garcia Canada and Garcia UK continued until 1981. I hope this answers your question...

Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:30 pm • #  

Wallace Carney wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
As you know I'm nearly finished with an article on Barrie Welham and here's part of what I've learned. Abu owned the Garcia name worldwide beginning in 1981. They wanted a world exclusive on the Garcia name and Barrie sold it to them in at that time. He then needed a name which was not too noticeably different and LEEDA was the choice. It was short and it ended in an A and was outlined by a red box similar to the Garcia red wedge. In 1991 Barrie sold the Leeda Company, along with subsidiary companies such as British Fly Reels and a share in Steades of Sheffield to a venture capitalist company Porter Chadburn. The LEEDA name lives on to this day as a a major U.K. fishing tackle wholesaler.

Hi Daiberry,

There were several Garcia companies that were separate entities including Barrie's company at the time. The Garcia Corporation (USA) was the first distributor allowed to engrave their name "Garcia" back in the late 1950s. These Garcia engraved and plated reels continued to be distributed worldwide for at least one year after their 1978 bankruptcy however; Garcia Canada and Garcia UK continued until 1981. I hope this answers your question...

Regards,
Wallace
Hello Wallace, and all Mitchell enthusiasts.

Sorry for the delay, I have been very busy lately with work, work, work!

Barrie Welham, is my number one Mitchell hero. He took the Mitchell brand and gave it the exposure it needed in the United Kingdom. Thank you for bringing his name to the many Mitchell collectors around the world who visit this group and may not have heard of Mr Welham.

I have a penant from Barrie Welham's Leeda-Mitchell company. I am sure it is dated early 1980's possibly 1981/82 as the 300A has a black plastic handle knob from that period.

Mr Welham also used the "REELS" name on some of his Mitchell boxes also! Another part of the Barrie Welham story!

Best regards, Jim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:16 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Jim,

It's funny you should mention Barrie Welham as your hero. When we first started talking, he didn't understand why I wanted to do an article on him. I said that not only was he a huge part of Mitchell's success, he's also many people's hero. He laughed and said "hero" then thought and said that Maurice Jacquemin (the inventor of The Mitchell for those who don't know) was his hero.

He then asked if I knew the 1st version was made in 1939?!? I was shocked and said I've been saying that for several years, and even as of this day there are those who believe otherwise, even Pure Fishing! When I asked him how he knew this as a fact his reply was simple. Maurice was one of his close friends and talked often! WOW!

I thought everyone would like to know he plans on being at our meeting on Saturday at Keith's offices. He has plans for the other two days. Jim, I'm sure he would love to see your LEEDA pennant. I have a blue 440A Browning style box with "REELS" on it as you say.

Best Regards,

Wallace

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:54 am • #  

Hello Mates,

Wallace some people are very modest!

I am very much look forward to meeting Mr Barrie Welham, that would be fantastic. I must be at the meeting!

When I talked to Mr Barrie Welham about my book he confirmed many of my thoughts and expained many interesting facts. I found him to be an extremely interesting person and talking to him was the highlight of my year. Thank you Mr Welham for talking to me.

I also thank Barry Frewing for arranging the phone call. Thank you, Barry it is very much appreciated.

Best regards, Jim

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply