Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Old Newspaper Articles
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:17 am • #  
Administrator

New York Times ~ February, 1953

I've always found this article interesting for many reasons:

Notes:
1- Joan Salvato, Woman's National Casting Champion, was very close friends of Johnny Dieckman and traveled the globe together doing demonstrations and tournaments. Joan also became "The Garcia Girl" and later married Lee Wolf, another casting champion, maybe the best!

2- She taught an 8 year old boy how to spin cast in only 10 minutes. "The ability to cast without effort encourages the novice to devote the time required to gain experience." Although he was using an AIREX spin caster, this is what spin casting brought to fishing regardless of what brand name it was. No "birdsnest" or backlash."

3- Read the interesting comments on the Mitchell (300) and then the new surf-size model referred to as "an exact duplicate on a large scale" and "a pilot model can be seen at the Garcia booth."

Excuse me but did he say what I think he said??? Image

FYI:
The 1st version Salt Waters I've studied weighs less than 12 oz and;
The "available in April" didn't happen but that's another article.

Cheers,
Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

Last edited by anonymous on Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:59 am • #  
Administrator

This is the first mention of Mitchell I've found so far in an American newspaper.
These give us an insight to more than just Mitchell at the time and why Mitchell became so popular...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:13 am • #  
Administrator

I found this hidden under the "Advertising & Marketing" section. Over 90% of this article was about people in marketing, new types of campaigns including the ad showing a man in a tea shirt and a young woman in a girdle? What is this world coming to!? Anyway, I had to crop it down to what you see...

The hunt is on! Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:38 am • #  
Administrator

Where did the "rumor" come from that servicemen returning from WW2 brought back fishing reels?

Notes:
1- Mitchell celebrated 10,000 cases of Mitchell reels in 1955.
2- Each case contained 60 reels x 10,000 = 600,000
3- Article states 300,000 imported in 1955 with "most of them" coming from France
4- $2,000,000 divided by 300,000 = $6.66 each? Was this close to what Garcia Paid?
5- Can notes 3 & 4 be right?

Just My Notes Image

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:54 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Wallace
A fascinating post mate, I have read it over and over again.

In my personal experience newspaper articles can be misleading, many of the ones done on my company over the years came out quite different from the information that I had given to the journalist.

However thinking about your notes 3 & 4.

Mitchell's produced 600,000 reels that year, or am I reading this wrong? I guess it's possible that roughly half went to the USA.
As for Garcia's cost being $6.66, again it's possible given the vast numbers they were buying.
I am sure I have a 300 in box from around that time with a price tag on but I cant find it at the moment.
Do you have one that would tell us what the US retail price was in 1955?

Anyway mate, an interesting post, thanks for putting it in here.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:06 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Roy,

I agree all articles and advertisements can be misleading. I watch the History channel a lot and last night they did one that made me sick. It was about a well known journalist in the 1950s who "sensationalized" a newspaper article that led to a young girl be convicted of treason. Even when the "witnesses" came forward the day before the trial to confess they were paid by this man to lie, the prosecutors refused to drop charges. None of these witnesses nor the journalist were called by the prosecutor so they went to the defense attorneys who didn't call them to the stand either. She was found guilty on one of six counts with absolutely nothing but the newspaper article and a forged document she signed for a $2,000 payment and a promise to return home to America. Over 30 years later she received a full presidential pardon. After watching this, I wanted to throw away everything I have!!! Sorry, just venting mate...

No, "by" 1955 they had made 10,000 cases (crates) in total. Each case contained 60 boxed reels so 60 x 10,000 = 600,000 again in total. So, can this article be right? I think not!

Here's a picture of that exact case:

Sorry for the confusion Image

The "ads" I have for 1955 have a price of $29.75 USD by Garcia but I'm sure other prices can be found especially in old Klein catalogs.

Best Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:21 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Wallace
I have never had much faith in what the papers say but I have even less now having read this, hard to believe it could happen isn't it.

Thanks for clarifying the reel figures mate, in that case 300,000 reels going into the US in one year is not a possibility.
Having sorted that out the Garcia cost price of $6.66 per reel means nothing either but thanks for the price guide, $29.75 was a lot of money back then.

Good sturdy crates they used back then, thanks for showing us. These would be cardboard packing cases these days I guess.

Thanks for your help on this.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:11 pm • #  
Administrator

Wallace Carney wrote:
The "ads" I have for 1955 have a price of $29.75 USD by Garcia but I'm sure other prices can be found especially in old Klein catalogs.
Hey Roy, I made a mistake Image

The price of the Mitchell 300 went from $29.75 to $32.50 in 1955, so I guess I was half wrong Image

Cheers!
Wallace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:24 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Don't worry Wallace...................the man who never makes a mistake, never does anything.

Thanks for the correction, I guess that for the average working guy, $32.50 was several weeks pay in 1955.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:13 pm • #  

Hi Roy and Wallace,
It would be interesting to try and find out just exactly what $32.50 was worth back then, i will leave it up to you old ones as i was not even born then Image. Maybe someone could compare just what the value of a mitchell 300 was back then with something like a car or a pushbike maybe.
Just my thoughts, martin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:20 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

Ran across the following article and hopes it add a little to the story of Lenk and Mitchell:

Cheers,

Dr. Todd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:22 pm • #  

I just did a money conversion from 1955 for $27.75 and it came out to $250.79

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply