Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Garcia Memories
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:25 am • #  

From my earliest memories I have Mitchell and Ambassador reels and Conlon rods were in our house. My father (Mac) started as a salesman eventually becoming Northeast Regional Manager. When I was 3 or 4 I had an Abu 505 and a 3 ft rod called "the flipper". I quickly progressed to the Mitchell 300. I have probably fished with almost every model Mitchell produced in the modern era. Throughout my early life I accompanied my father on many sales calls to wholesalers such as Roskin Brothers, Bonitz, Boston Camping, Eiseman & Kott, Meltzers, Ramsey Outdoor and others. My fathers dear friend Barney Green was the buyer at Roskin and was forever sending something home with my dad for me. Also fond memories of "Uncle Miltie" Kott who did the same. My Uncle Harry and Uncle Gus were both affiliated with Garcia and they always talked business at family get togethers.

Our summer vacations were in Cape Cod where Al Ristori taught my sister and I to catch flounder and blowfish from a row boat out in back of Gooose Hummock. Dad always chartered a Striped Bass trip with Capt. Gray where the lessons continued.

My parents went to visit the Mitchell factory in 1970 which was a very big deal, well except for me because it was baseball season and I didn't want to miss any games. Now of course I wish I had been there. My Bar Mitzvah (1969) was a who's who of Garcia folks.

I enjoyed helping out at consumer shows and reel repair clinics where I became quite adept at fixing Mitchell reels. We would take apart the reel R&R the grease, fix anything that was broken (charged for the part) then filled the spool with line for a penny a yard. There was always a line out the door.

I still have a couple dozed Conlon rods, some Garcia memoribilia and many great memories.
-Steve

Post subject: Re: Garcia Memories
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:43 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the group mate! Wow, your stories and memories must be just incredible and very special. Really cool to have fished with some of the real pioneers in the fishing tackle world. You still have a couple dozen conolon rods, my personal favorite in the collecting world. The Narmco and Garcia conolon rods are still the best. Would love to know what are your favorite rods are and what models you have kept.? I have tabulated a database that I started over 35 years ago trying keep track of all the conolon rods made, maybe you have something I can add?
I have always enjoyed looking at your Dad's engraved reel on this site, it is truly something special. Thank you for sharing your memories with this group. Cheers!

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:08 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Steve, thanks for joining our group! What do you think about showing your dad's Mitchell Reels in this group first? I think it's a good idea plus it would help show the importance of your dad's work with Mitchell and Garcia! For those who don't know, Mac received a prized presentation Reel from both Mitchell and Garcia. The permanent pictures will be put in the museum gallery after a good cleaning first. Best regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:49 am • #  

Hi Wallace,

I will be sending you the two reels. I hope to see pictures of them on the site.

Regards,
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:26 pm • #  
Administrator

Hey Steve,

Thanks, I will take pictures when received and post them here. When completed cleaning and polishing, both will be added to our museum's gallery along with Mac's engraved reel, the only one that has legitimate provenance!!! The Mac Carr Reel can be seen at:
http://www.mitchellreels.net/index.php?option=com_easygallery&act=categories&cid=134&Itemid=72

Thanks for all of your help mate! This will be a great addition to our cause...

Best Regards, Wallace

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:38 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Wallace and Steve,

The 1974 reel looks great, the 20,000,000 silver in presentation box is WOW! Thanks so much for sharing the photo's. I had to use my sunglasses from the car to view the photo. Cheers to all!

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:13 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Steve and Wallace,
All this great history and photos is taking my breath away.

Many Thanks,
Ted Lanham

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply