Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Puukko knives
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:11 pm • #  

I was skipping through some old Garcia annuals online and unfortunately can't remember which ones! I spotted one having an advertisement for Garcia accessories, including what I recognized as a Finnish Puukko knife exactly like one I had as a youngster. Now I know my father was totally a Mitchell man, so there is no doubt in my mind the knife came from the same source.

Does anyone here have any information on Garcia offering these knives?

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:36 pm • #  

Gary,
What color or colors was the knife and sheath?? What was the handle made from???  Garcia had several knives made for them that they sold. One is exspensive and the other is relatively cheap. Thanks.
       Kim

Mitchell Fan Forever

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:39 pm • #  

The handle was layered leather, brown with a bone pommel. The blade was a carbon edge, steel layer. The sheath was leather. I have never seen another one and I have no idea what happened to it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:16 am • #  

Gary,
Is the knife you're talking about the manufacture of the knife or the "style"??? I have a knife made by JACQUES for Garcia's Sporting Arms Division. Has what you mentioned but with a metal screw on top. The hollow handle holds matches.The knife was made in Brazil.Garcia's CODE:900 0050. They come up for sale at times on ebay. Expect to pay $150 and up for one with box and all. Possibly cheaper for knife and sheath only.
      Kim

Mitchell Fan Forever

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:05 pm • #  

Puukko is a style of Finnish knife. No guard. The handle is layers of either leather or birch bark. I have an early Fiskars fillet knife and a puukko version as well. Both have bronze and hard plastic handles and both were really made for commercial use. This was a good 40 years ago when Fiskars made top of the line knives. 

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply