Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:39 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Found a lookalike
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:55 pm • #  

Wife was at a yardsale upstate and picked up several older rod and reel combos for me for $5.00 a piece.She figured for the price even if I found 1 that was useable and used the rest for parts it was worth it.Well one of them just so happened to be a Sears lookalike of the Mitchell 300.If anyone likes I will try to get a few pics of it over the weekend and post them.I cleaned it up,opened it up and cleaned and lubed it all up inside and well....it works just fine,I mean its certainly no Mitchell but...well you get the idea.Its just something else to add to the ever growing collection of fishing stuff over here haha,Shawn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:16 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Shawn,

I look forward to seeing pictures of this reel.

Regards, Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:10 pm • #  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:13 pm • #  

As promised...here are a few pics for you guys to check out of the Sears wanna be Mitchell If theres any other pics youd like of certain angles or areas let me know,I will see what I can do.Shawn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:11 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi, Shawn:

I didn't know if I would ever see another one of these reels!  A year or so back, I bought one new in the box for the sake of having a Mitchell lookalike.  The one I have is the same model as yours, I believe.  Seems to be a pretty well made reel, but mine is just a bit stiff due to old original grease.  A lot of the Mitchell lookalikes were made in Japan, and this one is no exception.  Here are a couple of pictures of what the box and paperwork would look like.  If you want, I can take some pictures of the owners manaual and post them for you in my images file.  Let me know.

ImageImageImage  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:07 pm • #  

Sure wish this one was in that nice a shape haha.Funny for a second I got all excited when I went to the truck to unload them.OMG...is that a Mitchell 300??? As you can see it turned out to be a fake but oh well.Mine worked as yours at first...kinda tight but once I opened it up and cleaned out the old goop and applied some oil it works rather nicely.I think I read somewhere on here...and its very true,all the copies and lookalikes floating around of the old Mitchell design just go to prove how much influence Mitchell really had over the fishing reel industry.Just look at all those who tried to cash in by putting out reels that looked like,but certainly didnt operate on the same scale as the Mitchell,Shawn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:37 pm • #  

outlawmobile wrote:
Sure wish this one was in that nice a shape haha.Funny for a second I got all excited when I went to the truck to unload them.OMG...is that a Mitchell 300??? As you can see it turned out to be a fake but oh well.Mine worked as yours at first...kinda tight but once I opened it up and cleaned out the old goop and applied some oil it works rather nicely.I think I read somewhere on here...and its very true,all the copies and lookalikes floating around of the old Mitchell design just go to prove how much influence Mitchell really had over the fishing reel industry.Just look at all those who tried to cash in by putting out reels that looked like,but certainly didnt operate on the same scale as the Mitchell,Shawn

Hello,

What Mitchell reel is looking like this one??

I think it is not a clone of a Mitchell version, or am I wrong.??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:50 pm • #  

A clone in the truest sense of the word...no,it is not an "exact" copy but it looks an awful lot like a 300 at first glance.Let us say it was fashioned after the 300...not cloned from itImage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:05 am • #  
Administrator

Dear "Underworld":

Sure would be nice to have a real name to address, but in response, I am thinking like Shawn that the reel shown is certainly not a Mitchell clone, or as I incorrectly referred to it as "a fake".  It is not a direct copy like the Raichell.  It is just another reel made by another company that has similar esthetic elements of the Mitchell 300 as Shawn has indicated.  It would appear that Sears had tried to capitalized on the popularity of the Mitchell 300 by incorporating the oval shape, and general overall dimensioning of the body, rotating head, and spool into their reel.  A bit of spicy red adds eye appeal.

Shawn:  if you are interested in the owners manual, I can scan it and send it via e-mail.  Just let me know.

Best regards,

Wayne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:36 am • #  

Yes I suppose it would be nice to have a copy of the owners manual for refference and or nostalgic purposes.On a different note I have to wonder...just how many of these did Sears make,or more importantly sell? I had never seen one before my wife brought this one home.I also wonder how many other folks on here have ever seen or knew of the existense of these Sears reels.Thanks,Shawn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:02 am • #  
Administrator

Hey, Shawn:

Put a message in my inbox with your e-mail address and I will scan the manual and send it to you.

Regards,

Wayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:48 am • #  

Just revisiting this thread because it has been nagging at the back of my mind for some time now. Any idea who actually made this 'Seers' reel? What was the country of manufacture? I ask because that handle mechanism looks very, very similar to the one on a German reel I have. At this moment in time I forget the name but I will see if I can dig it out over the next few days and take a picture or two. My reel is a sort of light metallic green colour and seems to be well enough made but certainly nowhere near as nice to 'play with' as a Mitchell is. Maybe it's the colour but I never really considered my reel to be a clone or copy just another fixed spool spinning reel.

I think I bought my reel for literally a couple of pounds (UK) together with a very much maligned Strike Right centrepin. The pin needed some work on it and I still haven't finished it after about 5 years. I only bought it for the fly line on it :) It's not a fly reel!!!

Take care

Kevan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:28 am • #  

Kevan,
The reel in the picture # 779-31512 was made in Japan for Sears in the 1970's as listed by Ben Wright in his book. Approximate value is $25 less box and paperwork. Yours looks to be in excellent condition with the extras so the value would be higher. They are not high end reels but nice to look at. If you collect spinning reels I would suggest buying books by Ben Wright. His last two would be an asset to your collecting. Almost all of the spinning reels made are listed in them. Manufacture, approx date made and different models made as well as values. If interested GOGGLE Ben Wright to see where you can purchase them....................Good Luck.
      Kim

Mitchell Fan Forever

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:30 am • #  

The REEL I quoted was the one in ROCK'S POST!!!! Sorry for any confusion............ImageImageImage
      Kim

Mitchell Fan Forever

Post subject: Re: Found a lookalike
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:24 am • #  

I can help with this reel, as I've done some studies on Japanese reels of the 50s-60s. This Sears reel was made by the Daiwa Corp., which did a lot of contract work during this time. Some of these contract Daiwa reels were designed by the company, and then sold to various chains as private labeled reels. Distinction between labels was accompanied by changes in the coloring of parts like the spool, body and handle/drag knobs. The generic label was "King Neptune" that was distributed in the US by the Holmar company. So a small chain like Two Guys department stores would order the King Neptune through Holmar, while a large chain like Sears would by it direct from Daiwa and have it private-labeled. The reel pictured is actually a King Neptune 140, which is identical in every detail except for a gold spool. Another example is the Sears 300 spinning reel (silver body, brown spool, burgundy knobs), which is the King Neptune 150 (grey body, dark grey spool, black knobs). Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:35 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Plummerfrog,

Great information about the Diawa reels and the connection with Neptune and Sears. Cheers!

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:26 pm • #  

More info on the Sears reel. Photo of pair shows an (early?) version at left with the red spool like the Sears, but having a Holmar King Neptune label with no model number. Reel on right is a Holmar King Neptune with model number 140 and having the gold painted spool, all other details exactly the same. Other photo shows the other side of the 140 with its box. The pyramid shape at the end of the handle post is a characteristic of this reel model. These were made by the Daiwa Corp. and is very solidly built for a budget reel of the 1960s.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:50 pm • #  

Proof of Sears/King Neptune/Daiwa pedigree. Photos show both sides of reels, left to right: Sears 300 (silver body, brown spool, burgundy knobs); Daiwa 7300 (dk. brown body, burgundy spool, burgundy knobs); King Neptune 150 (grey body, dk. grey spool, black knobs). Sears and King Neptune perfectly identical. Daiwa identical except for the bail wire and line guide. However, this is often the case even today when a mainline mfr. makes an item into a private label product for a retail chain or makes a cheaper version of their brand name item for another chain. The mainline product dealer (in this case, the Daiwa dealer) will always complain hard to the sales rep about how the mfr is undercutting him. The mfr will change a feature for the private label product so the rep can reply, "No, it's not the exact same product; the brand name you're selling is better. Be aware that Daiwa made many private label reels in the 1960s for other companies. If it has a hefty look and feel with sturdy parts and smooth retrieve, it is probably a Daiwa. They were quality budget reels, and I have a King Neptune 150 that I beat the living tar out of in fresh and salt water as a teenager and it still operates well enough to fish fine with it (although it looks like the dickens)! I have verified Daiwa models with off brands like Jorgensen, as well as better known brands like Wright & McGill and even South Bend.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:25 am • #  

Yours looks to be in excellent condition with the extras so the value would be higher.
genting club ผ่านเว็บ

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply