Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:05 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:47 am • #  
Administrator

I thought this was interesting; a CAP 54 with a very first issue rosewood handle knob. This was the first release of the CAP under the Mitchell name even though Mitchell was not engraved yet. This reel was first manufactured in 1954; 13 to 15 years after these knobs stopped being used on both The Mitchell and The CAP.

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:40 pm • #  

Hi wallace,
Interesting reel you have shown us here, the reel itself is worth what ever someone will pay for it but any collector who knows his reels will know what the handle is worth, a lot more than the reel which like you have said is around 15 years younger than the handle.
Cheers martin

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:09 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Martin,

Sometimes buying a part's reel is a good thing Image and yes of course you are right.

I remember the pictures of this reel were very poor and the seller (France) tried his best to hide the knob from view. I bought it just for the knob thinking it was "brass" or unusual at the least. The sad story would be what happened to the reel it came off of?

Unknowing sellers will take two or more reels and try to make one nicer one. Did he do this and throw away the 1st version CAP that are normally found in very poor condition/appearance???

I think so Image

Best Regards,
Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:54 pm • #  

Hi wallce,
Its a shame to think you could be right on this but as we know even some of the best collectors make up reels, the thought could be the seller decided to put the wooden handle on the reel to make it look older and help him get more money for it, from what i remember he lost out.
Martin

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply