Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:57 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Lafayette 300
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:53 am • #  

Attachment:
IMG_20190707_111406_crop_480x480.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_20190707_111421_crop_480x407.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_20190707_111704_crop_475x480.jpg
I was going through my needs repaired/cleaned box and ran across this made in Japan 300. At first glace it makes you wonder if it was real, but when you look closer you can tell the difference. Thought you might like these pictures. Thanks Larry

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Lafayette 300
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:40 am • #  

Hey Larry,

Interesting.

I did a search of the MRM Forum. Bonanza had a thread on this reel: Mitchell 300 copy "Lafayette"

John

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:13 pm • #  

Mates,

In the 1960’s, some Japanese manufacturers had no regard for existing patents.

For example, Daiwa had claimed their Millionaire baitcasting reel was a unique design. However, one could disassemble an ABU Ambassadeur and a Millionaire, mix the parts, and then reassemble both. So, the parts were identical. ABU did eventually receive some compensation from Daiwa, but only just before Len Borgström was scheduled to appear on Japanese television. One may read about this in a couple pages in Len Borgström’s ABU and Garcia: What Happened.

I’m going to guess that was an exception; most original manufacturers probably never received compensation for their designs from the Japanese copiers. Even with Daiwa, I think it was only because they were entering the US market with bigger plans and ABU (along with Garcia) was strong here. Smaller companies, like Lafayette, may not have been worth the legal cost to Mitchell and Garcia.

John

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:33 pm • #  

Mates,

Corrected link to Bonanza's post.

My earlier link above had tested okay when I was posting, but now I see MRM images are not visible with it.

John

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:02 am • #  

John
Thanks for that link, I looked at it earlier, but didnt get any pictures. For some reason when I did the search it would log me out, once I logged in everything was fine. It seems the like the Japanese took a 300, changed a few things and ran with it, no worries about copyrights. Now I just have to figure out what to do with it, cant use it for a parts reel. Once again thanks, Larry.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:54 pm • #  

Hey Larry,

If you have the space, and since it sounds like you don't necessarily want to keep it longterm, I would keep this Lafayette as a collectible with the intent to trade or sell when I had an opportunity. There may be some collectors who would like to have some examples of copycats. For instance, I know a fellow who collects ABU Toby spoons and likes to have some examples of Toby-inspired spoons.

I tried to find a Lafayette sold price on ebay, but ebay no longer keeps sold listing info for more than a couple of months and this is a very rare item (although not necessarily a high demand one). I even tried the Google search with "site:ebay.com" approach which sometimes turns up items past what is available in an ebay search.

Thanks for posting your photos.

John

P.S. Corrected link is now also logging one out and not showing images either. :sAng_scream:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:18 am • #  

John

Thanks for the reply, I think I will keep it for awhile, its not eating anything.The reel is missing the bail wire, handle and 1 cover screw. I may get lucky and find another one, but not likely. Just have to see how it goes. Once again thanks.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:01 pm • #  

I didn't realize the reel was missing those parts. That does narrow your options somewhat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:00 pm • #  

This looks like a fairly well made and very nicely finished reel.

Have you tried to put 300 parts for the ones that are missing. Never know, may be able to adapt or modify from there.

Best wishes.

G. Glen Simpson,
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:52 pm • #  

Hey Bonaventure,

I think your suggestion is a good one to create a fishable reel. However, please think about 2 additional considerations.

1) If one were to trade/resell as a collectible Lafayette, one would need to describe rescue by Mitchell parts. How ironic would that be? (Aside from not being of value to a collectible Lafayette.)

2) If one were looking for more fishable 300's, why not put the effort/cost into rescuing actual 300's (versus a copycat with lesser quality parts)?

Warm regards,
John

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:21 am • #  

Bonaventure

Thanks for the idea,the only parts that will interchange with a 300 is the cover screws, everything else looks right but is different in one way or another. I have several different Mitchells to repair and or clean then I can get a list of parts I might trade the Lafayette for if anyone has an interest. Thats down the road, just have to see how it works out. Thanks Larry

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply