Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:37 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Mitchell promatic
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:53 pm • #  

When i go back to sometime in 2006 i very much enjoyed my collecting of mitchell reels with a great man called tony bates, a man which i have still to shake the hand of. At the time i was selling a couple of 440A,s (which tony won and paid for through an online auction) and tony was starting his collection which was predomently auto-bail reels, infact it was nothingelse but auto-bails until i got a chance to speak to him which came about with some help from our mitchell mate roy. Over the months between roy and i we helped tony with his collecting, after collecting most off the auto-bail reels and every medium sized reel going we got talking about the mitchell pro-matic a reel which until now was a complete mysteryImage
Tony, ( an auto-bail head) said he wanted one for his collection, cutting a very long story short one was purchased on an online auction from the USA, at first tony had what he thought was an original reel, a £200.00 at that. This reel was commissioned by a french tackle dealer named J.L BUNEL from paris. When the reel arrived tony was kind enough to send it down to me so i could carefully take apart his reel. This was done and at that time i was still green about mitchell reels, the one thing i noticed however was how the nut didn,t lock off to hold the baffle plate in position. Knowing mitchell would never of issued such a reel even though sales were struggling with the competition from the far east i had to declare to tony his reel was everybit a fake/made up reel, a reel we call here a frankenstien reel . At the time it was a shame for tony, he grew to dislike this reel more and more and oneday a few months later sold it to me. Now most of you will probably say why on earth did i buy this fake reel from tony? Well its simple, i was almost obsessed with this reel. Knowing it had to be out there somewhere i asked in other forums some off the top collectors from around the world about this reel, guess what? answers never came back. It seemed to me that if any knowledge of this reel was out there it was not going to be shared with me, weeks later i asked the same question and this time got a reply which in short said the reel was made by mitchell but an online forum was not the place to talk about it due to counterfeits being made by so called collectors. Moving on, mitchell mate jim partridge and i got our heads together with this reel and talked about all the possibilities of its existance, actually having something that resembled the promatic helped us along the way and pretty much had a big say in jim doing his superb auto-bail book. Its here that at this time all i can say is the reel was certainly avaliable and made by mitchell and all can be seen in jims book, the facts are in there to be seen. Dont get me wrong i will always share with any collector what i know to be authentic mitchell history, but on the promatic its early days for jims book and i would not want to ruin it for you or him by giving chapter and verse on this superb looking reel.Image

Here is just one of the pictures of the mitchell promatic i obtained from my great friend tony b. and if you get to read jims book all is revealed about this reel. It took us months to find out the authentic history of this reel and is now documented in a book which to my knowledge tells no lies.
Cheers martin

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:20 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Martin,

Thanks for sharing that rare photograph. Can you give us mates a little clue as to how to know if one is authentic? I know of two that were made from parts as you already know.

Cheers,
Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:32 am • #  

Hi wallace,
At this time i would say if the baffle plate locks off and the reel functions how you would expect one too you may just have something close to what i would want as a pro-matic. Since there is no available picture of one its difficult to know what to expect, on purchasing one its buyer beware as usual.

cheers martin

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:21 am • #  
Administrator

Hey Martin,

I thought that reel you show was an elusive authentic so-called ProMatic. When rumors of these first came out, I took the cover plate off a 1st version Mitchell 300 PRO and put it on a black 440A Lightning Cast reel and it worked fine so as you say; buyer beware.

Cheers,
Wallace

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:09 am • #  

Hi wallace,
This reel is a very poor attempt at making a mitchell "PRO-MATIC" fishing reel, i knew this when i purchased it after tony sent the reel to me so i could break it down to its component parts. We presume a pro-matic would look like it does in the photo, a cross between a 300pro and an ALC but untill someone comes up with an "original" we can only speculate as to what a pro-matic looks like, my guess is the photo would not be far off the mark. A 300 pro side plate put on a alc body and rotor will work fine just like you said its just the aesthetics to me would be all wrong, no name plate or screen printing, hey who knows an authentic reel may have the name "pro-matic" on a raised nameplate which would really open our eyes. My quest to find a true promatic will continue untill the day i have one, in my head i know what i want, i believe when one graces my hands i will know its a proper pro-matic.

Cheers martin

Last edited by anonymous on Fri May 15, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:24 am • #  

Hi group,
As a few people will know i attended a vintage fishing tackle fair today meeting up with a few mates and members from this group. To my amazement i was told a person who attends the same fair had in his possession a Mitchell pro-matic, so off i went to find the man.
Once i had asked the question of "could i have a look at you pro-matic please" the man said "of course mate". Giving me the reel i sort of wished the reel was totally different to my fake one and in some ways it was, the spool was different the shaft which the spool locates was different and the biggest thing i noticed was how the baffle plate nut had "locked off". Turning the handle and winding the reel for a few seconds however was a dissapointment for me with a very harsh feel to the gears compared to my reel. Was this a true pro-matic? it didn,t feel like it was so i gave the reel back to the owner,said "thankyou for that my friend" and returned to my stall. Thinking back now it made my reel look pathetic but i was not convinced it was a true pro-matic as i never went cold when holding it Image just like i did when holding a very rare half-bail 10 minutes later Image.
Regards martin

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:57 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Martin,

I know of two people who say they have an original "Pro-Matic" but neither have shared photographs nor any other specific information. Until 2 or more of these have been authenticated as true Pro-Matics, the suspicions (doubts) make them worthless so why all the secrets? Even you didn't buy the one from the tackle fair knowing it looked better than the one you have!

In our Gallery 440S you will see an "unknown pilot" reel at the time found by a Dutch collector. He shared this reel's photographs which opened the doors for future finds for everyone. Knowing this reel would be way too costly to reproduce it was "considered" an original but with only one known to exist, it was still questionable so the search was on. Maybe a year later another 440S was found by me. After a thorough study it was found to be exact in every way except for the spool. This validated the first reel and is now a highly desired authentic Mitchell reel.

I have my personal opinions on what an original Pro-Matic would look like with the most important being it would not have a standard Mitchell 300 PRO cover plate; it is highly unlikely to have any serial number which was common on Mitchell "pilot" reels and; it would have been made during the release (time period) of the Mitchell Pro line series reels, at the very beginning, say 1984/85.

It has been written "serial number are very important" on these reels to determine authenticity but no serial number was given??? Why all the secrecy?!

Just My Thoughts,
Wallace

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:43 am • #  

Hello wallace,
I remember emile,s 440S like it was my own, i also remember the 2nd 440S which sold on an on-line auction like it was yesterday as me and tony bates ( FORMER OWNER OF THE PROMATIC I HAVE ) were the under bidders on that reel. I can even see the listing of that reel being sold with another mitchell at that time,the dark picture of the reels but that anti rev.lever stood out a mile, when we came a gallant second to you wallace we both nearly gave up collecting thinking that we just couldn,t compete, in fact if we dig deep into the past mitchell mates archives there was a topic on " ON LINE SNIPES" at the time this reel was won by yourself, something you used to great effect when collecting some rare mitchell reels im sure you will agree, my thoughts are documented in the thread just like they will be here. Something else i remember like yesterday was the first discussion on this reel, a collector made it clear to the website members he had a "promatic" something that you questioned yourself wallace, another collector/historian made it quite clear what the serial number should be for this reel, something he later said he would not reveal because of counterfiets being made Image. Its hard to explain but sometimes things get inside your head ( the 440S ) and dont go away, any past talk of this reel still remains, word for word, in my head. I will just take the opportunity here to clear up one small thing for all our members, the promatic i looked at at redditch was not for sale, the guy was good enough to remember me from last year when i showed him the 441ALC i have( Image yes i forgot) i told him the promatic was a reel that was, excuse the phrase, doing my head in, he said he had one in his collection and would show it to me one day if i returned to redditch and i thank him for doing so.
The search for this reel will go on, maybe one day, just one day, someone will prove its out there, the big question still is do we know what we are looking for?

Kind regards martin

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply