Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:33 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Garcia mitchell 308A
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:46 pm • #  

Having become a collector of the worlds finest spinning reel i purchased this little ultra-lite spinning reel on an on-line auction which turned out to be a fake/parts reel. The reel was a made up reel consisting of a new body and a used rotor advertised as authentic by the fraudulent seller. It took me a few months to realise it was a fake after trying to log the serial number into my collection so please all mates out there when you are collecting please try and make sure what you have purchased is correct, if not send it back where it came from.

Before someone asks the answer is yes some authentic mitchell reels were made as pilot reels for testing purposes without serial numbers. These reels are rare,few and far between also understand reels from 1939-1949 did not have any serial numbers which started in 1949/50.
Cheers martin

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:14 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Martin,

That reel could fool the best! Do you think the seller sold it knowing it was a part's reel? Just curious since you said he was a fraudulent seller.

Beast Fishes,
Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:49 pm • #  

Hi wallace,
The seller of this reel knew what he was selling shame i didn,t. In the early days of collecting most if not all collectors are caught out one way or another, part of being in-experienced. If the reel was listed on an on-line auction in big letters "MITCHELL PARTS REEL" then you know exactly what you are purchasing, when you just see pictures of reels listed for auction you can get a bit carried away and not even read the listing, of course you can also have some trust in the seller just because of who he is. I chose the latter and it didnt work out, complain? No i did not because of the seller, who at that time had my respect in the world of mitchell. Im hoping this will help any of our new collectors who read this, if you wish to start collecting mitchell reels or need advice on collecting them there,s enough gentlemen here to help you, all you have to do is ask.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:54 am • #  

Hi Wallace,

After taking several pictures of 308A models it has dawned on me just what a piece of junk this reel is, I hadn't noticed the sideplate on this reel until now. Looking closely you should be able to see how the rotor is a well used one compared to the housing and since this reel should date from around 1978/79 just checkout the sideplate.

Something else aint she?

Regards Martin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:42 pm • #  
Administrator

Hey Martin,

FleaBay sellers like this makes us all look like a bunch of idiots and do more to harm Mitchell collecting than anyone or anything!!! In the last Mitchell meeting, we talked about how to stop this from happening. Exposing these people for who they are was suggested. My suggestion was turning them in to eBay for fraud but that was not accepted well. Maybe they were right?!

Makes me sick to even think about this Image

Wallace

BTW, What's the serial number mate?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:46 pm • #  

Hi Wallace,

It doesn't have one mateImage, in a recent posting (not here) some are under the impression it should not have one but then saying that I DO have a 309A which does have a serial number so I guess that blows that theory out of the water, I believe it was sent to you a couple of years ago for the museum.
  What's your take on reels with NO serial  numbers Wallace ?  I have heard of pilot reels which would be sent to sellers of the Mitchell brand as a kind of "look at this new product tell us what you think" reel, can i take it these reels did not have serial numbers? I have a 358 which I believe you listed in the ultra-lite numbers collection once before, this too does not have a serial number and looks every bit a parts reel, it has a green drag knob on it which I believe only came on the 314 model.

Regards Martin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:52 pm • #  
Administrator

Hey Martin,

New housing, used head with no serial number means parts reel but I guess you know that already. Sorry for your loss but it happens! I don't belong to any private group, it's not my style, so I've not read where these came without serial numbers. The only person who would know that for certain is the one who put it together at the Mitchell factory or if more recent, a scoundrel for profit.

There are authentic Mitchell reels without serial numbers such as those you mentioned plus exclusive presentation reels, tournament reels, cutaways, prototypes and a few other common models such as the 308 sent out as test/pilot reels by Mitchell. From what I've seen, this briefly occurred in the 1950s and early 1960s but late 1970s? I don't think so for many reasons which should be obvious if you think about it...

Kind Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:17 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi, Martin:

Too bad.  I'm looking for a Garcia 308A myself.  Obviously, the seller didn't post a picture of the backside of the reel, or you would have noticed the much later sideplate.  I'm very leery of buying anything on ebay that has only one picture, or blurry pictures.  I will always ask for better and more pictures if an item really interests me.  When I get burned, its usually something mechanical, then I either fix it myself, or if too much trouble I send it back.  It pays to check out a new purchase thoroughly, and as you have found RIGHT AWAY.

Heck, if you didn't pay more than about 20 quid for the reel, and if it works well, then its still a good buy.  (Hopefully that last statement doesn't make you feel worse.)

I find that the mixed bag that can found on ebay is part of the fun of collecting and buying on ebay, and the occassional parts reels/fakes add challenge to our knowledge as collectors.  However, I don't have toleration for professional fakers that intentionally imitate rare reels that can have significant value, or that otherwise intentionally misrepresent what they are selling.  If I suspect that, I confront them, and if not satisfied, I then report them to ebay and vigorously pursue just compensation.  Just my personal opinion on that note.

Best regards,

Wayne 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:31 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Martin,

Roy and I have been looking at the elusive Mitchell 398 that we know very little about. Turns out they were made in the early 1980s and 2 out of 2 found did not have serial numbers. This goes back to pilot or test reels in my opinion. If anyone has any info on this reel, ads or schematics, please let us know.

Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:46 pm • #  

Hello Wallace

I've never seen a catalog, a SAV or an advertisement for the Mitchell 398 and 382 reels of the same series as the 282, 283, 288, and 298 for which papers exist.

I have a 382 # S.03.11 a 398 black # Rxxx2  and 398 bronze # xxx04.

The 382 is very good, both are very average 398, the serial number is half cleared

They are identical to the Galion 42 R (382) and 46 R (398)

I think they date from 1986 - 1987

Christian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:09 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Christian,

Thank you for this information. The ones we have looked at appear like yours. They look like they were painted black or gold in another case. Very strange I think.

Best Regards, Wallace

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply