Mitchell 316 spool

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
BF60

Mitchell 316 spool

Post by BF60 »

Hi,does anyone know how to remove a Mitchell 316 spool? I haven't a clue.
All help greatly appreciated.

cshannon772

Re: Mitchell 316 spool

Post by cshannon772 »

Hello BF60,
The 316 Spool is removed by unscrewing the triangular drag knob. Once the drag knob is removed, you can pull the spool off the reel. Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Chris

BF60

Post by BF60 »

Thanks for the reply. I tried that but the spool won't come off.

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Hi BF60,
That's a different problem caused by either 1. Over torquing the drag and pressing the spool onto the axel 2. Rust forming between the spool and axel or 3. Dried grease in the axel/spool. My first step would be to spray the top of the spool where the axel passes into the spool with PB Blaster or WD-40 and let it set overnight. Gently try to pull the spool off the axel - a light "rocking motion" may help. If that doesn't work, remove the backplate of the reel. Remove the silver axel locking device (flat plate with two prongs inserted into the black plastic oscillation guide). The axel will then slide out the front of the reel with the spool attached. Put the spool on a couple of blocks of wood thick enough that the axel and spool are suspended (wood blocks supporting the bottom of the spool). Using a small drift/punch and a light hammer, gently tap the axel down through the spool. Clean and reassemble - that should solve your problem.

Kind Regards,
Chris

don309

Post by don309 »

:text-goodpost:

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
BF60

Post by BF60 »

Thank you very much for your help. I will give that a go and hopefully I will get it off.

Regards
William.