Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:54 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: What is this reel?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:24 pm • #  

It is very Mitchell like on the inside but it has JAPAN on the foot

EDIT: Topic moved to better location

Last edited by mitchellreels on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:17 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Jeff, I don't know what this reel is but I moved it here for better exposure. Maybe someone knows? Cheers, Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:03 pm • #  

See "Found a lookalike" I guess apart from the handle and the missing label, it is a Sears, but when did they sell them. Was it a Mitchell made for Sears?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:29 am • #  
Administrator

Hi, Jeff:

I have a new reel that looks much like this one and it is very possibly a spinning reel sold by Sears.  My reel has a distinctly different looking handle.  My reel is not a "Mitchell" made for Sears, but rather a Japanese-made reel for Sears.  I could not find any dates on the box, owners manual, or reel itself to determine it's age, but my best guess would be mid-late 1970's.  The box has #3151 on it, and the owners manual identifies the model # as 779-31512.  It is also possible that the Japanese made similar looking reels for sale by various other retailers, who knows?

Best regards,

Wayne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:12 pm • #  
Administrator

Hey Wayne,

Figures you would have this reel, wow!

Maybe you or someone else can tell me what this reel is or any opinions. It was just found in Australia...

ImageImageImageImageImage

Cheers, Wallace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:54 pm • #  

My suggestion would be to contact Ben Wright the spinning reel expert. He has written several books on spinning reels. His e-mail address is- <[email=spinrite@rochester.rr.com>>]spinrite@rochester.rr.com>>[/email]. Hope tis helps.........
      Kim

Mitchell Fan Forever

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:12 pm • #  
Administrator

Hey Kim, I know Ben, a very nice and knowledgeable man! I was just hoping Wayne would have one in the box Image

Just Kidding...
Wallace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:39 pm • #  
Administrator

Hey, Wallace:

You've got me there!  I have no idea.  Do you think that this reel once had a cover for those exposed gears?  If not, then it would have been a messy reel to operate considering grease flying all over the place, not to mention getting your shirt sleeve caught in the gears (ha, ha)!

Regards,

Wayne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:48 pm • #  
Administrator

Hey Wayne,

I've looked many times and can not figure out how it could have been closed up, can you? Very strange reel but easy to service!  I've asked many old reel collectors about and nothing yet.

Best Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:11 pm • #  

Check this out on ebay
[/b]

[/b]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:27 am • #  
Administrator

Hey Jeff,

That similar exposed gear reel listing sparked my curiosity even more, thanks! For our UK friends, they should know that both of these were manufactured there. The one you pointed me to was made by Arthur Allan, Glasgow, UK in the 1930s.

The one I show above turned out to be another made in England, town of Bradford, by a member of the British Parliament, Alfred Illingworth, in the 1920s. It's predecessor was the first "fixed spool" spinning reel with a patent date of May 4, 1905 called the Illingworth No 1. This was more than just a spool of fishing line attached to a rod with knobs; it has a manual pick-up and even more interesting, gearing to an unbelievable speed at the time of 3:1! (note to self: there are two versions of this model, the 2nd version having "Oil Me Please" stamped on the cover after a very short run of the 1st version)

I have found two examples of very similar Illingworth reels to the one I show called the Illingworth No 2 and another, No 3. Neither of these are exactly the same as the one shown above so my research continues. (note to self: Alfred Illingworth AKA Holden Illingworth, correction to full name Alfred Holden Illingworth)

The differences are in the head cast as seen above and the "strange" drag adjustment knob when compared to other known models:

Best Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:40 pm • #  

After conversing with Ben Wright on this open gear reel he sent me the following information. It is a Illingworth reel as mentioned by Wallace. Depending on wether the spool reciprocates would make it a 2 or 3.
      Kim

Mitchell Fan Forever

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:06 pm • #  
Administrator

Awesome!  The "Da Vinci" of spinning reels!   Quite the evolution from the 20's or 30's to the 40's.  Wallace:  I have a feeling that you knew all along, my friend, that I would not have one "new in the box"!

Regards,

Wayne

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:10 am • #  

To the original poster, If memory serves me correct, I cleaned an identicle reel about 2 years ago that was marked "Sears" on the side opposite of the handle. The sears logo was a on a metal plate that was glued on to the reel. The foot on this reel was marked Japan. But the interesting thing is that my notes say that it was marked Diawa somewhere on the inside. I don't remember exactly where, but I remember it was stamped into metal, maybe the inside of the casing. I no longer have this reel, as it was traded away.

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply