Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:59 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:07 pm • #  

As you may already know from my other posts, I specialize in collecting Japanese reels from the 1950s-60s. They were all I could afford, and they truly bring back fond memories, plus they are CHEAP to buy, both then and now! ;) I recently came upon a Japanese Mitchell clone in a brand I collect that was not only previously unknown to me, but I have never found any reference to it as a known 300 clone in any reference or anywhere on the internet. Here it is: The Jorgensen Mainliner! The name is engraved and paint filled, and is written in script to apparently mimic the Mitchell script. Very close copy. Do not know the actual mfr since Jorgensen Brothers were importers of imitation knockoffs of famous fishing brand items, but Daiwa did a lot of Jorgensen labeled reels, so they may be the culprits here.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:53 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Plummerfrog,

Very nice reel my friend! it is a reel that I have never seen before!
Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:11 pm • #  

I think it would be very interesting to be able to compare this reel side by side with other Japanese clones of the Series 5 Mitchell (which the features of this clone most closely resemble). If you check out my photos I posted in the "Found a lookalike" thread, you'll see evidence that Daiwa made reels for many different brands during this time. Perhaps we would find certain other Japanese clones to be identical except for the names. Discovering multiple private labels on reels that are physically identical in every other way, and having one of these private labels now being positively identified as a known Daiwa contract customer (Jorgensen), might lead to uncovering a lost portion of the history behind some of these Japanese Mitchell clones of this time period.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply